ACN Latitudes Forums

Supplements for OCD?

Ashley B

My DD6's OCD is really starting to come out. She HAS to have the refrigerator door slammed, the car door HAS to be shut a certain way, her hair HAS to be just right, shoes/clothes HAVE to fit perfectly, etc. Today I was late getting out the door for work because she was so upset about her braid not being "just right" or "comfortable". She literally had a melt down, which is not typical behavior for her (she is not a whiny child). I was told by a friend with an OCD son that it is important not to cater to the child's OCD, and to purposely NOT fix the things that make them uncomfortable to get them out of their comfort zone and get past it. But it was so difficult this morning. She couldn't function because her hair wasn't right.

Are there any supplements you would recommend? She already takes a good multivitamin, magnesium, taurine, krill oil, Vit C, Methyl-B, calcium (we are staying away from dairy) and Zyrtec for allergies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so grateful for this forum -- it's always brings me hope!

Thank you!

Ashley

My son manifests some minor ocd behaviors on ocassion; they may well be there all the time, but I only notice when it's most obvious. And this is usually if we have not stayed on target with diet and supplements.

When I do notice, I add inositol (1/2 to 1 tsp.) to his multi (which already contains some inositol). I believe it helps.

We'll use some teas, too, which I believe also benefit. I think Chemar lists some beneficial teas in the link regarding treatments she has used, at the bottom of all her posts.

I believe there may be some infection connection to ocd, as well, if you haven't looked into that yet.

I feel for you and your daughter; I hope things calm down quickly.

Chris

Thank you so much for your reply, Chris! She is generally a WONDERFUL child! She is very well mannered, smart, fun and easy going. This OCD onset is very unlike her normal behavior. I would love to try some inositol. I see you use a liquid form - can I ask what brand you use? It's definitely worth a shot! And thank goodness at this point her OCD (just like her tics) seem to wax and wane so it's not an every day battle! Again, thank you very much for your response!

Hi

Inositol (and as Patty has mentioned...best taken with B6, preferably the P5P form) is the safest to start with

If you feel something stronger is needed, then 5HTP or tryptophan, but these are much stronger in their action on increasing serotonin than inositol is so always start very low dose and gradually work up.

The link in my signature details what my son has found helpful over the years.

dose really depends on the individual

minimum is 500mg a day so maybe see how that goes and gradually increase if needed

one can go up to 16 grams!! but that is a short term high dose for adult weight and to get severe OCD to come under control

most kids seem to respond well to the 500-1000mg dose

ps don't forget to be sure there is enough B6 in her diet...if supplementing, the P-5-P form is recommended