ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone's child taking augmentin xr 4000 mg.?

I read on this website that the adult dosage of augmentin xr is 4000 mg (two 1000 mg. tablets twice a day).

http://cold.emedtv.com/augmentin-xr/augmentin-xr-dosage.html

Actually, if you read the dosage given at this website, a child over the age of 88 lbs. could be given this 4000 mg dosage as well.

Has anyone's child been given this high of a dosage? If so, what were the results? I wonder what the weight of "Sammy" was when he was put on augmentin xr. Perhaps he was only given 2000 mg. because of his weight.

Quick answer to your question in our case is "no." I read up on XR, also, and saw those references to a full-sized, adult treatment dose for sinus infections and the like being 4,000 mg. per day. And our DS, 12 yo and 125 pounds when all this started, was certainly large enough to take the adult dosage. But our pediatrician was already pretty far out of her comfort zone on the whole PANDAS thing and the 2,000 mg. of XR daily, as it was; I'd convinced her to give it a try based on the "Saving Sammy" dosage, and there was no way, without a visibly "active infection" (which my DS has never had . . . he's entirely asymptomatic except for the behaviors and high titers), she was going to double the dosage.

So far as I know, I don't think anyone else here has gone to that dosage, either, though some of us have kicked around the "what if's." Would it have made a bigger difference, faster? It's really hard to know.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has gone that extra step. In many ways, the XR has been magical for us, so it seems possible that, at that dosage, the results might be just short of miraculous.

Quick answer to your question in our case is "no." I read up on XR, also, and saw those references to a full-sized, adult treatment dose for sinus infections and the like being 4,000 mg. per day. And our DS, 12 yo and 125 pounds when all this started, was certainly large enough to take the adult dosage. But our pediatrician was already pretty far out of her comfort zone on the whole PANDAS thing and the 2,000 mg. of XR daily, as it was; I'd convinced her to give it a try based on the "Saving Sammy" dosage, and there was no way, without a visibly "active infection" (which my DS has never had . . . he's entirely asymptomatic except for the behaviors and high titers), she was going to double the dosage.

So far as I know, I don't think anyone else here has gone to that dosage, either, though some of us have kicked around the "what if's." Would it have made a bigger difference, faster? It's really hard to know.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has gone that extra step. In many ways, the XR has been magical for us, so it seems possible that, at that dosage, the results might be just short of miraculous.

The reason I was asking is because Dr. T suggested trying it with my son, though we haven't yet. It was his suggestion, not mine to him. He assured me that there was no danger in this dosage, but it prompted me to look it up. I was amazed that 4,000 mg. is what is given for even just a sinus infection as you said. That's what prompted my thinking that perhaps "Sammy's" doctor prescribed 2,000 mg. because of his weight. I remember reading that at one point he was very thin, but I don't know if that was the point when his doctor started the augmentin xr.

My son is asymptomatic as well. He has always been extremely healthy and appears to be 100% healthy even now. So it is very hard to tell how sick he really is--severe OCD is his only symptom.

Dr. T's thoughts were that perhaps there is infection that we just aren't getting rid of because the antibiotic dosage isn't high enough. My son is 120 lbs. I'll post if we have any success. Thank you for your reply!

Christiansmom --

I'm sure Dr. T. is correct and a higher dose of XR would be "safe" for your child. I would think the only major cross to bear might be the gastro-intestinal distress experienced with many strong antibiotics. I know I've seen references to that in adults taking the adult-sized dose of XR.

I'm curious . . . will Dr. T. prescribe this for you? Or will you work with a local doctor/pediatrician for the prescription?

Please do keep us informed on this! Thanks!

Christiansmom --

I'm sure Dr. T. is correct and a higher dose of XR would be "safe" for your child. I would think the only major cross to bear might be the gastro-intestinal distress experienced with many strong antibiotics. I know I've seen references to that in adults taking the adult-sized dose of XR.

I'm curious . . . will Dr. T. prescribe this for you? Or will you work with a local doctor/pediatrician for the prescription?

Please do keep us informed on this! Thanks!

Dr. T will prescribe. I have a wonderful local doctor for my son now, and she is willing to work with Dr. T in any way she can. But Dr. T has always been my son's prescribing doctor. The original doctor I went to when my son first had problems didn't believe in PANDAS (got rid of him right away). Dr. T was then recommended to me, and I have worked with him ever since.

I will post if my son tries the higher dose if we do. Right now we are waiting to see if there is any change after adding the augmentin xr 2000 mg to the biaxin 1000 mg. Too early to tell yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post, since my son has now been on the 4000 mg. of augmentin xr for almost a month. He has had no change in his OCD--better or worse. He did recently test positive for KPU, so perhaps that is making the augmentin less effective.

Sorry you're not seeing any positive impacts from the high-dose XR. :(

Maybe once you treat the KPU, the abx will be able to be more effective?

Such a puzzle, this stuff is!

Sorry you're not seeing any positive impacts from the high-dose XR. :(

Maybe once you treat the KPU, the abx will be able to be more effective?

Yes, and possibly his homeopathic remedy will be more effective after KPU treatment as well. We are also looking into mold and heavy metals. I would be happy for ANY improvement as my son has been sick a long time. But he is in great spirits and is handling it all very well, though there is very little he can do. Almost nothing he can do alone.