ACN Latitudes Forums

What antibiotics are your children on?

I was wandering if I could get a list of the antibiotics your children are currently on as a reference for my son. Are any of your children on more than one antibiotic? Which ones? I am interested in the ones your children are on right now, not those they may been on in the past that didn't help. Also, do you feel that the antibiotics your children are on are working? My son was on biaxin 1000 mg and just recently had augmentin xr 2000 mg added. Biaxin gave some relief but nothing exceptional. Can't say about the addition of augmentin xr yet as he hasn't been on it for very long.

My daughter is currently on 500mg of zith every other day. This is prophylaxis.

She has had success with other things in the past that cannot be given over the long term:

Clindamycin for 14 days when she had a positive swab despite the zith. Not sure what was going on there- rapid positive/culture negative, but the clinda did improve symptoms.

We've done rifampin/augmentin combo 3 times for 14 days each time. The 1st time, especially was miraculous. The 2nd and 3rd a bit less dramatic.

My son has been taking azith 500 mg 2x/week as a prophylactic since March. Before that he was on a treatment dose during an exacerbation. It has been the best thing for him. Just a few days ago we added in Augmentin XR 2000 mg/day, for 10 days to see if that would pull him out of a flare. So far so good, but it's too early to render a final say.

Dd, post-IVIG, is doing great on Augmentin. Seriously great-- I'll post our happy story soon-- when ds's flare chills out...

Ds, no IVIG, recurrent strep, is back on Clindamycin. He had an active perianal strep infection, with PANDAS exacerbation, on the day of his initial eval with our PANDAS doc (the one upside to that was that it made dx easier). He did a 2 week course of Clinda, we saw major improvements, then switched to Augmentin. Less than a week after the switch, but still on Augmentin, he seriously regressed and the perianal strep returned. We went back up to see our PANDAS doc, did another course of Clindamycin and topicals, etc. Same exact number of days off Clinda and back on Augmentin, he got a sandpapery rash on his torso. We saw our PANDAS doc--strep. And now he's back on Clindamycin. He's supposed to stay on the Clindamycin for 3 months now. Peggy, do you know anything about that long a course? This all just came up at the end of the week and I haven't even had a chance to look into it yet.

TH

He's supposed to stay on the Clindamycin for 3 months now. Peggy, do you know anything about that long a course? This all just came up at the end of the week and I haven't even had a chance to look into it yet.

TH

I don't. Just know that doctors (both the prescribing doc and the pediatrician) do not want to do clinda long term. I think its because its hard on the tummy, but not sure.

Ah, okay, thanks. That makes sense, because at the doc's office we talked about how fortunate it was that he has no tummy side effects-- it just doesn't bother him at all. And we're giving Florastor and probio. So perhaps that's it. Or perhaps it's one of those weigh the risks and benefits things-- he obviously can't do Augmentin b/c he gets strep while he's on the therapeutic dose. When he's on Clinda, his strep clears up, and we see tremendous improvement in his symptoms. Anyway, lots, lots, lots, to dig into-- we're just starting to figure this guy out.

Thanks again!