ACN Latitudes Forums

flu mist in school -- holy moly

after a year of homeschooling due to impending move that didn't impend so fast -- we are finally back in school -- yeah for all!! not totally smooth sailing as i've posted lately, but going quite well -- anyway, along a different vein . . .

the school has posted today how wonderful it is that they are offering the flu mist to students during school. it's not until the end of oct, but i want to be prepared. . . please share experiences, thoughts.

i am definitely NOT having it for either ds but, could they be okay in school that day ? - (with DO NOT VACCINATE tatooed on their forehead) -- is it too much potential exposure?; is it enough to keep them out of school for that one day or should it be longer? of course, our major school issue is school phobia, so keeping him out a day is not without issues, but that's what i'm thinking. . .

thanks!

Oh, geez. Personally, I'd keep my DS home. However, I'd have to point out that Flumist is what set off DS's major exacerbation so I have a litte PTSD over that. That said, any kid could get the Flumist and sit right next to my DS and I'd not know it. A school full of Flumist would be more than I could take, risk wise, though.

GGggrrr!

I have to say, I think I would keep them out- even knowing (and having gone through lots of issues). You might find out what time the mists are starting, and pick them up prior to that. I really don't know if science backs me up- but it contains a live virus, what if some kids shed it? We can't protect them from everything- but, that would make me a mess. What day of the week is it?

http://www.rigelweb.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=74

A google came up with this. So- there is some science- typical shedding happens in the first three days, it is rare to infect someone else during this time, but healthcare workers working with immunocompromised patients are instructed to get a vaccine w/o a live virus.

Hhmm. That REALLY stinks. I might be conservative- keep them out that day- then send them back.

For what it is worth, we saw Dr. L about 2 years ago. My daughter has pandas, and she is one with low igg numbers. When we saw her she told us we should see an immunologist because of the low igg numbers. We asked her about the flu mist since it was being administered in the elementary school to all students. She felt strongly enough to write a note exempting my daughter AND her sister out of school for the WHOLE WEEK. We ended up pulling both children out of school to homeschool because of problems with the school directly contradicting medical advice.

I do not know if she made the recommendation to all paitents, or just us. A lot has evolved in the understanding over the last 2 years, so this may be different now also. As for us, homeschooling has been a great choice. We just had our 6th ivig with Dr. B. We are hopefully having our last next month. Since our daughter still has low igg levels I don't know for sure if we will have to do more in the future, but we are hopeful.

Good luck, and ask your current doctor their opinion. Let us know the current thinking.