ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics caused by bacteria/not strep

jtp

Hello, I was on this forum a few years back when my son had a bacterial infection when he was 8. He was on 2 courses of antibiotics because another infection started 2 weeks after he finished amoxiclln. He did not have strep. He did have a vaccine PCV I believe it was called when he was baby and it was supposed to ward off pneumococcil and strep bacteria from turning into ear infections. Pardon my spelling I'm in a rush this morning. A few weeks after having antibiotics he started having facial tics mostly eye rolling that was severe. His Pediatrician tested him for strep-negative and tested him for lyme also negative. I kept asking if this was induced by antibiotics and she said no it wouldn't do that. Then we went to a neurologist and by the time we got to the appt he was doing better 3 mos later. They said it was transcient tics and it would go away. It did, but now 3 years later he had an ear infection in July and was prescribed azithromicin and in August he began those same tics again... Can this be caused by an infection not related to strep? Can this be caused by the antibiotics? Or does he have too much yeast from the antibiotics an it's causing tics? Whom do I see for this? I wasn't too pleased with the neurologists, they didn't help at all. My son has always been sensitive and I fear that he will be made fun of for the tics. He has had bullying issues before. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We live in Massachusetts. I will not be able to check back until this evening. Thank you

Hello,

I am exploring all this as well. My older son's tics had been getting worse this summer with some new ones emerging. He's had a throat clearing tic since he was five (it took years to figure out that it wasn't a cold/allergy) but now he had a neck twist and a hand tic. The main thing that's changed for him over the summer is his sugar intake so I thought it might have something to do with yeast (sugar seemed to bring them on). I managed to convince the dr to put him on nystatin for a month and tadaa we are two weeks in and his tics have noticeably improved/the more recent ones have disappeared. Last night for the first time in years when we read together he didn't clear his throat once. He usually does it constantly. Now I'm not saying this is a permanent improvement but it does give me hope.

Good luck on your search.

Cynthia

Thanks Cynthia, My son ate lots of sugary foods over the summer as well. Since he'd only been on antibiotics twice in his life I'm thinking it has something to do with the infection itself or the residual effect of the antibiotic. If it is yeast, how do you get your Dr to prescribe Nystatin? Our Pediatrician said a probiotic yogurt is fine. I've been giving him that since he had the azithromycin. I spoke to his Ped again this morning and he went for a blood test again for Lyme, ASO and CBC. We'll see what the results are in a few days. It's just too odd that the two times he was given antibiotics he's gotten tics. His personality is a little off as well. He seems like his mind is somewhere else. Tonight when I put him to bed he said to me "Mom, I feel like I have to keep doing something but I don't know what it is." Somethings up and I just hope we get to the bottom of it. I'll repost what his results are when I get them. I'd also appreciate any supplement suggestions.

Thank you,

Jeannie

Edited by jtp

Hello again,

Basically I have developed a technique honed over many years where I go into my dr and say these are the tests I want/medication I want to try and present a very persuasive case and she generally will agree to it. I have a long history of curing myself of things (I was told in my twenties that I had three days to live and well I'm still here and was also told I couldn't have kids and I have two so I don't tend to listen to people who say I can't do things especially doctors) so I think although she thinks I'm a bit strange I do get results. I was surprised as well that he would have yeast. He is on 1000 mg of fish oil a day and EMpower by Truehope which is a multivitamin that they use to treat bipolar disorder but has also seen some effect with Tourettes. It seems to stabilize his moods and we are using it until we see our naturopath (in a couple weeks) she will put him on a more specialized program. He got allergy/heavy metal/yeast and gluten/casein sensitivity testing.

There is a test for systemic yeast but I think you have to get it through a naturopath or order it online through Great Plains Labs.

I hope that helps

Cynthia

i've been mia...but i am mom of ticcers..

yes, imo tics can be caused by any of the above mentioned...once that portal is opened its a job to get it closed again and keep it closed.

i will be back in a few days...but i'm sure some will give you ideas for swelling.....i really think tumeric is a great help for inflamation and it may help conteract yeast grow...still researching on that....

i just happend to see your post as i going to post some info i saw...

Hello again,

Well the results from the blood tests were all negative. I suspected they would be anyway. I finally convinced his Ped that these tics (mainly eye rolling and neck jerking) were caused by either the antibiotics or the infection. Last time she thought I was crazy. So at least now she's consulting with an immunologist. I'll know more next week. In the meantime what other supplements can I use to try and calm his tics. Some days they are less than others, but it must be difficult to read in school with his eyes rolling all over the place. I can see he's trying to stop them but it's not working. I do not comment on them at all because he's very sensitive. Last time this happened his tics and behavior (just a little off from normal) lasted 3 to 4 mos. I hope it won't last that long this time. Any suggestions will be appreciated. He is taking fish oil, danactive and multi vitamin now. oh and I'm trying acunpunture this week too. Hope something helps.