ACN Latitudes Forums

ibuprofen alternative ?

in the past, we have seen success with ibuprofen. i used to refer to it as "magic motrin". we also used to use it occassionally prophylactally -- like before trick or treating or a big party and thought we saw good results. as ds has improved medically, we've seen less success. we last gave it early summer before a party but still saw some behaviors along the realm of our current quest of discerning what is still pandas behaviors vs. what is here due to impaired development due to pandas vs. ds's general personality or issues. at that time, we thought ibuprofen was not really helpful. silver lining being ds was healthier.

we've had many changes recently and i've been thinking of the role of stress and inflammation of the BBB in pandas. one of ds's major issues was school phobia. with the start of school, we dosed ibuprofen. ds did fine first day, next two went kicking and screamng, we are now doing a ERP-like plan that i walk him to his classroom and stay in the hall at lessening times. he's working with it but with some resistance.

i'm torn -- he's had trouble even with ibuprofen . . . so, is it really doing nothing. . . or would it have actually been worse without it??

my mom, a former nurse, is of the mind that it can't really hurt short-term, so keep giving it. we're only dosing in the a.m. so i don't think we're overdoing it but am aware i don't want to use it unneccessarily.

i know some were looking for an anti-inflammatory -- has anyone found a good alternative?

thanks!

HI Smarty-

Sorry you are dealing with this. My dd had major school issues for the last half of last year. I am very anxious about starting this Thursday.

One thing I can share, dd had school fear/refusal due to ocd. Last year we worked hard at getting her back to school, a little at a time, sometimes with me sitting in the office.

Unfortunately, in hindsight- this was only dealing partially with the issue. This summer, through therapy at USF, we learned we had to face the fear itself. Her fear was of throwing up in school. We had to do exposure therapy, not to schoo, but to vomit. We did exposures like: saying the word, saying the word to other people, writing the word, looking at vomit photos and videos, writing scenarios of vomiting in school, etc, etc.

She is still very nervous about school, and so am I- but I do feel we are getting at the root of the fear, and desensitizing her to it. We will know how we are doing in a week or two.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but maybe if you knew what thought or fear exactly was bothering him, it could be helpful....

I agree with DCMom in that if it's OCD driving the anxiety, ibuprofen isn't going to be magic. It may lessen the intensity to a point where ERP can be more successful, but CBT/ERP is probably going to be an important tool for getting over the school hump. Obviously, addressing the root fear is important.

As for your question, we found that during periods of need, it was better to dose on a regular schedule - 2-3 times/day every 6-8 hours rather than on an as-needed basis. Easier to keep the horse in the barn than to get it back in after it's already out. We found 1/2 an Aleve (which was 125mg/55 lbs) was better because it didn't wear off until the end of the school day. I tend to agree with your mom, that the relief you get can outweigh short term risks. But also hear you on your concerns - it can be tough on the gut and liver. You can support the liver with detox, and there are several threads on this topic on the lyme forum. You can help the gut but not dosing on an empty stomach, supporting with probiotics, etc.

We've tried tumeric capsules but saw no benefit. Curcumin is also anti-inflammatory. One product I seriously considered was Lutimax http://www.lutimax.com/ If you search luteolin on Pubmed, you find lots of research to support its effectiveness. S&S beat me to it and tried it for her DD but had poor results, so I never pursued. But...you should PM S&S because there may have been non-Pandas factors that effected her experience and I would still consider it in the future, but for now my own DS is in a good place and this isn't on our radar at the moment. So just something for you to look into.

You don't get into why things are boiling up and I don't want to pry. Obviously you know enough to look for triggers, strep and otherwise. Hope it's more from temporary factors and is short lived...

Edited by LLM

Sorry things are a little tough right now. I have to echo DCMom and LLM . . . anti-inflammatory may take the edge off, but my guess is that the school-phobia is also going down the behavioral path now. I know you have a lot of experience and work with CBT/ERP techniques, so stick with those, hold your ground, and continue to edge your DS toward a more independent school day.

In the meantime, maybe you can help him feel better and take the edge off the anxiety as you go along. We have used so many supplements for so long now, it's kind of hard for me to tease out what each brings to the mix individually. All I can tell you is that, combined anyway, they seem to be doing the trick for now (knock on wood!). Some of them are thought to have anti-inflammatory properties, and the others are thought to have glutamate-modulating properties (more specific to OCD). We use curcumin, D3, quercitin and fish oil for anti-inflammatory properties. We use NAC, B-complex, melatonin (at night) and valerian root occassionally for glutamate modulators. As you know, we also use a couple of low-dose prescription meds.

I think it was mkur a few months ago who provided a paper about the glutamate-modulating properties of melatonin. We were already fans of it for its sleep properties, but we had been keeping it to a minimum (1 mg.). Then, with the onset of a new school year and anticipating some increased anxiety over it, we ramped it up slightly to 2 mg. nightly. It may be sheer coincidence, I know, but DS is doing better than just holding his own, of late, and I'm found wondering if the magical, overnight assistance of melatonin is a contributor. :huh:

Unfortunately, in hindsight- this was only dealing partially with the issue. This summer, through therapy at USF, we learned we had to face the fear itself. Her fear was of throwing up in school. We had to do exposure therapy, not to schoo, but to vomit. We did exposures like: saying the word, saying the word to other people, writing the word, looking at vomit photos and videos, writing scenarios of vomiting in school, etc, etc.

dcmom -- if you can think back to last year, did you know the vomiting was an issue -- or did you just see it as school anxiety? did you see it as a separation anxiety or did you know there was a deeper root at that time?

sounds like FL was very helpful for you -- so glad to hear it!

my son uses Boswellia Extract by NOW as an anti-inflammatory with great success

It's a combo of Boswellia and turmeric/curcumin....potent anti-inflammatory action

Boswellia itself has also been found helpful for OCD

also, as an FYI for anyone using ibuprofen...CVS Pharmacy now makes their own brand on without that nasty added dye!