ACN Latitudes Forums

Question about homeschooling in Ohio-anyone know?

MMWG

We are going to send our request to homeschool to the superintendent on Tuesday. I know in Ohio they have 14 days to approve or deny. My question is--what do I do til then? We have been going half days to kindergarten at private school while we were trying to get him adjusted, but it is clear that there are multiple things happening that is going to make adjustment unlikely, at least not on any timeframe that won't be detrimental to his health. Do I have to keep sending him til we get the approval? I haven't talked to the school yet, but plan to on Tuesday. He has had a horrible backslide the last two weeks--a full blown PANDAS episode with all clinical symptoms, all brought on by the stress (strep test negative). It will take a long time to get him back to "normal", and another 14 days dealing with school is not a good idea.

Any ideas?

I homeschool in Virginia, but from what I know about Virginia law, Kindergarten is NOT REQUIRED to be entered into first grade. In fact, we don't even need to send in standardized test results for kindergarten. We do have to submit an "Intent to Homeschool" form. The VERY wonderful website I would recommend, or you could even call them first thing Tuesday morning (and then PAY AND JOIN if you do decide to homeschool) is HSLDA. My link The fee in nominal considering you get free legal representation 24-7 365 days a year. They will know the answers to any questions you have, or will point you to the legal advisor who will. Invaluable.