ACN Latitudes Forums

galazin

jjgiii

Hey everyone,

I have tried many different ocd drug therapies, but have yet to try a glutamate modulating therapy such as Memantine (Namenda), Riluzole (Rilutek), N-acetyl cysteine, or amantadine. If anyone has information on or experience with any of the above medications, would you please share that with me? I am desperate.

Thanks so much.

Hi!

Yes, we've used NAC to some success. We also use B12 (supposedly "mops up" excess brain glutamate), lamictal (a mood stabilizer which is thought to help modulate glutamate), melatonin at night (modulates glutamate but induces sleep, also, so not a good one for day time), and a beta-lactam antibiotic (Augmentin), which is also thought to help modulate glutamate in the brain. Valerian root is another herbal glutamate modulator.

As for the drugs like riluzole and namenda, there are some other families here (mostly on the PANDAS forum) who've used those to some success; you might try running a search for those terms on the PANDAS forum and see what you find. Our docs, however, are reluctant to prescribe . . . say they're still "experimental for OCD" and have side-effect profiles they dislike given our son's age (14).

Good luck to you!