ACN Latitudes Forums

Tx for elevated liver enzymes

Backing off on treatment or rotating to less toxic antibiotics for liver. Biaxin caused our older son's liver enzymes to climb and yellowing of eyes. We rotated to Azithro/Omnicef and eventually added Mepron to treat Babesia. All has settled since the changes.

Like others, I can list several things for liver support (ALA, SAMe, 5-HTP, Glutathione, NAC, Milk Thistle) but they are all supplements. What is the GI doc's objection to supplements? I'm not well informed about what an elemental diet is or what is or isn't allowed. Is it possible to have the two docs speak to one another?

Blood results show dd's liver enzymes are elevated and LLMD recommends milk thistle. Her GI Doc for the elemental diet will not let me give her any supplements including milk thistle. Anyone know of any other tx's for this?

Hello-

HOw long after beginning treatment did it rise? Which abx caused it? Andrea

From what I understand, which numbers are high can help determine why they are high. My son's were high and it was due to puberty (bone growth) but we decided to pursue a more natural approach to treatment to be safe because my husband does have a non alcohol related liver disease. My husband's GI dr is pretty mainstream and not a big fan of supplements. Although, his dr is starting a "study" this month on taking vitamin A for liver disease so perhaps the mainstream Dr's are finally starting to investigate the benefits of supplements. Maybe LLM's suggestion of having the two Dr's speak could be helpful?

Blood results show dd's liver enzymes are elevated and LLMD recommends milk thistle. Her GI Doc for the elemental diet will not let me give her any supplements including milk thistle. Anyone know of any other tx's for this?

The most natural way is through diet. Crustaceous vegetables like brocolli, artichoke, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels's sprouts etc help during Phase I of liver detox and are very helpful. They do need to be eaten raw for max benefit though. I do salad and dip for DS. Another child I see likes it blanched a bit and salted but no dip so I guess it up to each child.

Milk thistle is NOT indicated for children taking Mepron, Rifampin and couple other abx.

The most natural way is through diet. Crustaceous vegetables like brocolli, artichoke, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels's sprouts etc help during Phase I of liver detox and are very helpful. They do need to be eaten raw for max benefit though. I do salad and dip for DS. Another child I see likes it blanched a bit and salted but no dip so I guess it up to each child.

Milk thistle is NOT indicated for children taking Mepron, Rifampin and couple other abx.

My dd's diet consists of an elemental formula (think infant formula but without ANY food proteins) given through a feeding tube in her stomach. She currently is allowed to eat potato and is trailing brown rice. All other foods are not allowed. :(

SAMe-I looked this up once before and it contained something that she had an IgE allergy to.

She is currently on Omnicef (lyme) and Clindamycin (G tube infection). She has been on various others during the last two years. This is the first time anyone has ever checked her liver function!

Saw on LLMD on Thursday and he is retesting liver function. Did say he would call GI if necessary.

I received an email from GI's office on Friday that confirmed he did not want her on Milk Thistle or probiotics. I guess he doesn't care about yeast infection either. I'm thinking of starting acidophilus from Kirkmans regardless. Problem is if it screws up her next Endoscope in November he will assume it is because of the brown rice and she will lose the food.

Okay-just double checked all of her environmental allergies and she was positive for ragweed so she may not be able to take milk thistle anyway. I believe these are in the same family???

Edited by ShaesMom

My dd's diet consists of an elemental formula (think infant formula but without ANY food proteins) given through a feeding tube in her stomach. She currently is allowed to eat potato and is trailing brown rice. All other foods are not allowed. :(

SAMe-I looked this up once before and it contained something that she had an IgE allergy to.

She is currently on Omnicef (lyme) and Clindamycin (G tube infection). She has been on various others during the last two years. This is the first time anyone has ever checked her liver function!

Saw on LLMD on Thursday and he is retesting liver function. Did say he would call GI if necessary.

I received an email from GI's office on Friday that confirmed he did not want her on Milk Thistle or probiotics. I guess he doesn't care about yeast infection either. I'm thinking of starting acidophilus from Kirkmans regardless. Problem is if it screws up her next Endoscope in November he will assume it is because of the brown rice and she will lose the food.

Okay-just double checked all of her environmental allergies and she was positive for ragweed so she may not be able to take milk thistle anyway. I believe these are in the same family???

I do have a couple suggestions

Core dandelion blend from Energetix is homeopathic liquid and helps with liver detox. You should be able to add this to her feeding routine. I would double check the ragweed connection too since dandelion is a weed.

Apo Hepat drops from Bioresource are liver detox and drainage.

Any further questions are welcome. I can help you come up with a solution. You can pm me if you like.

White/yellow potatoes are inflammatory. If possible switch to red or purple potatoes. Sweet potatoes are more nutritious if you're allowed to switch to a close cousin of the potato.