ACN Latitudes Forums

Zithro and Omnicef(Cefdinir) reactions?

Has anyone's kids reacted to zithro and omnicef antibiotic combination? We have been on zithro since May and just added Omnicef/Cefdinir to my son's antibiotic protocol. He has had two doses and yesterday threw up 3 times after the second dose. Has anyone else had this reaction? His stools are normal but he has had nausea.

Any insight would be great!

Jen

DS4 was on Omnicef from mid Jan - late July. During that time, he had 2 runs of Azith (typical 5 day "Z-pac") and did not have a problem. I made sure to give the Omnicef AM and PM and the Azith at lunch. He has now been on Augmentin AM & PM and Azith at lunch daily as well for 4 weeks (this has been a magic bullet and he is completely asymptomatic; hope it lasts)! He had initial loose stool but his body adjusted well and aside from occasional evening tummy aches, no nausea. Maybe your kiddo picked up a bug?

He had the zithro at 6pm and the omnicef at 8pm then he had the omnicef next AM at 8ish. He threw up at 10:30 at school after recess. I took him to the peds office at 11am; she said that the double dose can cause nausea. She also said to give him both omnicef doses at night and the zithro in the AM. We are going to try that tonight and see what happens. If he gets nausea and vomits tomorrow she recommended we switch him off the omnicef.

Now about a bug... I really don't think he got a bug as he was fine before and after. I think if anything he could have been overheated from recess or dehydrated.

Thanks... I guess we will just wait and see!

Jen

But if you gave a dose in the pm and one in the am, how is that doubling up? How is the script written? Omnicef can be written different ways. Sometimes it's written to be taken once a day, sometimes it's a smaller dose taken twice a day.

Hope the new timing helps him! My son throws up Azith but it's within minutes of taking it.

Well he is doing better so far he hasn't thrown up again after we made changes. The script was written for two smaller doses AM and PM we are now combining both doses into one larger single dose before bed and giving the zithro in the AM. So far it is working....

Keeping fingers crossed!