ACN Latitudes Forums

Trying ADHD Medication

when not on any medication, my girl bounces off the wall and speeds around the house so fast...that she needs a tv or computer to focus on-just to get her still. she has bartonella and is on bactrim and mino.

the pdoc. wants to try ADHD medications. anyone ever try these with there bartonella kids?

when not on any medication, my girl bounces off the wall and speeds around the house so fast...that she needs a tv or computer to focus on-just to get her still. she has bartonella and is on bactrim and mino.

the pdoc. wants to try ADHD medications. anyone ever try these with there bartonella kids?

Oh, this sounds scary. But what do I know. Our ds12 is on conventional antibiotics for bartonella, etc. We added a colloidal silver spray a month ago per our LLMD and have seen some very good gains, finally.

Our son has been on a BOATLOAD of different psychiatric meds. Geodon and Namenda have really been the only two I would give good marks. You can PM me & I can give you additional info on these. Our psychiatrist admitted that psychiatric behaviors with infectious beginnings (etiologies)are very difficult to find medicines that help. Geodon has the added benefit of helping the sleep cycle (REM) sleep. Geodon is a dopomine antagonist. Namenda is a glutamate antagonist. Dawn

We're a week into an ADHD med for our ds5, whose main symptom has been motot tic and ADHD symptoms, aggression. It's been a great improvement so far. FINALLY, able to play with his brother and play independently. Before, I was breaking up about 20 explosive fights a day. He's also able to wait his turn and LISTEN to his brother without having a fit and trying to talk over him...He seems happier but maybe because I'm not constantly saying QUIET!, stop fighting! Slow down! So, I've been there Wilma.

DS5 has Lyme, Pandas and clinical dx of Bartonella. The docs approved his ped starting the ADHD med as long as we continue on the course of fighting the infections and dealing with the autoimmune issues since they're convinced that's triggering the AdHD behaviors. Either way, they said, go for it and we can wean him off as we get the other issues under control.

That's where we're at. Cautious though because just as I'm thinking maybe NO pandas, just ADHD disorder??? His grunting tic re-emerges (not an ADHD symptom) but more Pandas.

good luck.

Darlene

ugh! i need to try something. i just can't get her well....she is so stuck. non-functioning. i don't see her freaking out on these abx. which is a good sign i guess, because she usually gets violent with everything we try, but she still has really bad ocd and is so stuck. i am so confused and try to figure out if the meds are making her worse or are they helping. it is so hard to remember all of her symptoms, reactions etc....it is crazy and a long 12 years with not much help. how she is going on about 3 months of antibiotics. do you give up after 3 months and say the abx. are not helping??? its so depressing.

Hi Wilma,

We've never done any psych meds, so I can't help with that part. I just wanted to answer your question about giving up on Bartonella treatment after 3 months. I think you posted recently that you'd seen improvements in things like sleep, meanness and tolerating medicines since starting the abx? I wouldn't give up this soon. You can't expect her to be well after 3 months of treatment - if you're seeing small improvements, this is a sign you're doing the right thing and should keep going. We've been treating Bartonella/Lyme for almost a year, and we've seen steady, but very slow progress over that time. Comparing this August to last August, our quality of life has drastically improved, but there are still issues, so we'll continue to work with our LLMD until our son is 100% well. I believe he's been sick since birth, so I have resigned myself to a long haul.

ugh! i need to try something. i just can't get her well....she is so stuck. non-functioning. i don't see her freaking out on these abx. which is a good sign i guess, because she usually gets violent with everything we try, but she still has really bad ocd and is so stuck. i am so confused and try to figure out if the meds are making her worse or are they helping. it is so hard to remember all of her symptoms, reactions etc....it is crazy and a long 12 years with not much help. how she is going on about 3 months of antibiotics. do you give up after 3 months and say the abx. are not helping??? its so depressing.

Do you know what ADHD medication? I don't beleive a stimulant medication would be good for the kids suffereing from Lyme/Bartonella. We had tried one for Aidan 3 years ago for Aidan and it was a disaster. (We believe he has congenital Lyme but this was before we had found the PANDAS?Lyme trail.) I also believe our LLMD would NOT recomend a stimulant.

He did recomend using other things that would help like Lamictal which we did not do as we were already taking a med that was supposed to be similar according to our neurologist. Along with our neurologist we decided to try tenex (also comes in a time release form called Intuniv which Aidan can't take because I crush the pills to dose as he does not swallow pills yet). We tried in the spring and I did not see results in behavior but a possible improvement in speech ability (is severely delayed) but no negative effects were dicerned either. We have kept him on it at that level thourgh the summer due to the need to change other meds but just this week we are upping the amount we give with another step up in 2 weeks to get him at a more optimal dose. We shall see if it helps! I know of some kids that this has helped. It can make them sleepy especially if they get too much = our neuro says that if he is sleepy past the first day of an increase to give her a call.