ACN Latitudes Forums

igg and igm

Can someone explain which is the "old" and which is the "current" infection? Can you tell me if there is a measurement to see how old (for instance, a Lyme or a Myco) infection may be? If it is old, will it, in theory, slowly subside with use of abx? Why does an old infection that is not active, be the cause of autoimmune triggers, or are they independent of one another and the antibodies are just geared up from the past infection to go haywire? How is it that there is even a likelihood of someone being infected by multiple diseases (Strep:PANDAS, Lyme, Bartonella, Myco) all in the same body in a couple of years time? Does it seem strange that a kiddo could have been exposed and contracted so many?

I ask these questions due Igenex results that we just received yesterday showing all of these things.

Edited by Beeskneesmommy

Thank you. The myco Pneumonia occurred last Oct., I had to take him into the Ped and he was dx with walking pneumonia. The igg measurement was not taken until 5/24/11 (1.28) and the most recent was 7/27/11 (1.25). Still pretty high for a known past infection af 10 months ago. That was thru Quest. Now we have Igenex showing Lyme, igm and Bartonella, igg (don't have those labs in hand yet so don't know the measurements). I know I have read about multiple co-infections on this Site, but I am trying to wrap my head around a kid who has only been on this earth for 5 years contracting all of this on top of Strep:PANDAS. Are there any theories out there that suggest that PANDAS kids are more susceptible to to these other illnesses?

He is on Augmentin 2 x D and Azith 1 x D (for 28 days now) and will continue. It seems as if Azith is the frontline tx for Myco, Bartonella and Lyme in a little kiddo. He is doing extremely well right now - even better than I have seen him for over a year - looks, behaves and reports feeling completely healthy and normal. However, we all know how quickly things can change with this illness. We would consider PEX or IVig in the future, but we are trying to get to recovery without it if possible. Is there anything else that I can do to help in wiping all of this out?

Thank you!

yes, I would appreciate that. He is doing very well on the aggressive abx protocol that Dr. Bouboulis has him on, but I would like to know there are other options that can truly wipe it out prior to going to IVig. PEX is very risky for him as he does not have an appropriately sized exit vein and would have to have a port, apparently for quite some time. Thank you for your help!

Yes, my daughter's LLMD feels a persisting infection can drive a persisting IGM reaction.

My daughter has a postive Igenex Western Blot IGM, but a negative IGG. She is double positive on band 31, which means it's been chronic for a while. Her LLMD went on to find a positive Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever result with Quest and a positive Bartonella with Specialty Lab. She has numerous positive Igg's - Mycoplasma, Cytomegalovirus, C. Pneumoniae, HSV 1, Herpes 6, EBV VCA, EBV EBNA. She also has elevated AST/ALT, HDL Cholesterol & Triglycerides. She is HLA DR4 positive. She failed to make a response to Streptococcus Pneumoniae (10 out of 14) and H. Influenzae. She had a positive Cam Kinase with Cunningham and all four anti-neuronal antibody titers were elevated. I'm sure there is a few I'm forgetting.

Well, yes, the Myco came up both times for Quest, but was - for Lyme 2 times. Igenex found the Lyme (igm) and Bartonella (igg). Again, it seems like an awful lot of infectious exposure for a 5 year old, only about 3 years of which we have been living on the E. Coast and in the South. Our cat scratched my son a lot when he was younger, and our cat was a shelter adoptee, about age 5 when adopted, so perhaps the Bartonella came from him. I investigated getting him tested but when the vet referred me to NC State animal disease prevention, I stopped because I was afraid they would make us euthanize him if they found Bartinella (he poses no danger as he is an indoors cat and if he infected our son, he likely won't reinfect). The Lyme had to have been over the last 3 years because we were in CO prior to NC and my son was so little we never went out to parks and stuff - he wasn't even walking until a few months before we left Denver. I am rambling, seemingly, just finding it difficult to believe all of these results. Is it possible to get a false + for Lyme when done thru such specialty labs as Igenex?