ACN Latitudes Forums

Glutathione

When I asked our LLMD about detox he suggested Liposomal Glutathione Softgels which he had available for $65. There are 60 softgels. Is this a supplement that I can get at a more affordable price at a drugstore? Hopefully it is helping - it's hard telling! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have also heard that regular glutathione taken orally is just destroyed during the digestive process. So, you might find cheaper stuff, but it might not be very helpful. But what your LLMD is recommending is liposomal, meaning, if taken on empty stomach, it could be readily absorbled into the bloodstream before getting destroyed, so it might be a good one. IV glutathione has been extremely helpful for some people, and can almost instantly put an end to a herxing situation. But, it won't be cheaper than your pills you're asking about.

Other than that, there is trying to help your body make your own. pandas16 is suggesting vitamin D3 can help with that. Another thing that can help is supplementing with amino acids that are the building blocks for glutathione. For most people, cysteine is the limiting factor regarding how much they can make, so supplementing with NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) can be very helpful for some. You will find NAC to be cheaper than your pills, and it is very effective for some. I have never tried glutathione, so I can't compare NAC's effectiveness to that of glutathione.

The conventional wisdom in the general medical community is that it's poorly absorbed orally. But there is a train of thought in the lyme community that liposomal gels allow oral glutathione to be better absorbed, as Michael suggests. Only you can decide if it makes enough of a difference to warrant the cost.

Both of my kids have taken Essential Pro liposomal glutathione for about 7 months. Prior to that, my son had taken alpha lipoic acid (ALA) which is a precursor to glutathione and he said he felt the glutathione pill worked better. However, as we've added other supplements and as our financial situation has changed, this is no longer an option. With our LLMDs blessing, we'll now be going back to ALA and alternating between ALA and NAC (N-acetylcesteine). Both are precursors to the body's own glutathione, as is vitamin D. However, ALA is supposedly head and shoulders above the rest in terms of glutathione production. Our LLMD only uses ALA but we will be alternating with NAC because NAC has other brain benefits as well as OCD benefits. So we'll do every other day of each and see how it goes. You can find ALA and NAC from NOW brands on the GNC website for under $20. What I like about NOW is that it follows GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) for the supplement industry, meaning it follows high standards and actually contains the amounts of stuff the label says it does. Not all well-known companies use GMP.

You can find some good background information here: ALA and NAC I have other articles on NAC for OCD if that is also an issue.

The other detox supplement that I highly recommend is milk thistle, assuming you don't have a ragweed allergy or aren't taking certain drugs with which milk thistle is contra-indicated. milk thistle. A partial list of things that preclude you from using milk thistle is here contra-indicated On this list, you'll see some anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, anti-tic meds. You'll see valium, which is derived from valerian root, which some on this forum take for anxiety or sleep. So just be aware. But it has made a huge difference for us.

Finally, frequent bowel and kidney functions also go a long way in detox, as do binding agents (activated charcoal, bentonite clay, chlorella). You can search older threads (maybe the april-may time frame) for additional discussions.

Edited by LLM

My dd8 used to have glutathione daily through a cream. Our DAN! doc at the time recommended Kirkmans Transdermal Glutathione cream. It was smelly and annoying to us both to use. I don't know if it helped (this was pre-pandas and pre-lyme). I am thinking of going the ALA, NAC route with her to see if it helps.

Susan

Thanks everyone for your answers. I am amazed how much you all know about this stuff.

Hawks-

Just saw this. Dr. P ordered it from Wellness Compounding Pharmacy. They compounded a cream in two big syringes that allows you to measure out a specific amount. It was sent on ice. The invoice said $44. Just thought I would let you know. They have a website. Dawn