ACN Latitudes Forums

Brown stains between teeth

I just looked at my son's teeth yesterday and noticed he has brown stains between several of his bottom front teeth and two of his top front teeth. He has not been to the dentist for about a year and a half because of his OCD, but normally he gets a clean check-up. He does not seem to have any cavities or decay, only the discoloration between his teeth. Otherwise his teeth look normal. Could this be from his antibiotics? He has been on biaxin (and other PANDAS antibiotics) since October and has recently started amoxicillin and rifampin for lyme.

I just looked at my son's teeth yesterday and noticed he has brown stains between several of his bottom front teeth and two of his top front teeth. He has not been to the dentist for about a year and a half because of his OCD, but normally he gets a clean check-up. He does not seem to have any cavities or decay, only the discoloration between his teeth. Otherwise his teeth look normal. Could this be from his antibiotics? He has been on biaxin (and other PANDAS antibiotics) since October and has recently started amoxicillin and rifampin for lyme.

Twice I've woken up and noticed horrible build up on my teeth like that. It can be scraped off by a hygenist or a sharp instrument. I'm not sure why, but antibiotics can cause a lot of plaque at times. I'm very careful now to brush and floss really well and when I have build up, I scrape it off at times with something sort of sharp. (my hygenist would probably cringe to read that) Plus I use a whitening mouth wash which does seem to help with the color of my teeth. It really freaked me out when I saw it but when I talked to my hygentist, she told me it does usually come off.

There are some antibiotics that kids with develping teeth shouldn't have. I think Doxy might be one.

Twice I've woken up and noticed horrible build up on my teeth like that. It can be scraped off by a hygenist or a sharp instrument. I'm not sure why, but antibiotics can cause a lot of plaque at times. I'm very careful now to brush and floss really well and when I have build up, I scrape it off at times with something sort of sharp. (my hygenist would probably cringe to read that) Plus I use a whitening mouth wash which does seem to help with the color of my teeth. It really freaked me out when I saw it but when I talked to my hygentist, she told me it does usually come off.

There are some antibiotics that kids with develping teeth shouldn't have. I think Doxy might be one.

Thank you. It does look like plaque as it is only between his teeth. I will make an appointment with the dentist. Hope he can make it through a cleaning.

I talked to my dentist about lyme and he warned me that certain antibiotics can cause staining, and even damage teeth in children. He said the worst one is tetracycline. I'm assuming others in the same family of abx would cause similar problems.

Just thought I would add that we are having a hard time with this too. Both my girls have horribly stained teeth. I read that amoxicilin can cause yellowing and staining of the teeth. My dd even had me call the dentist to see how much a cleaning would cost extra before school starts. I found that brushing daily with baking powder (soda? the orange box) really helps. Create a paste and brush away and it does help.

Susan