ACN Latitudes Forums

very low vitamin D in August ?

DS7 (PANDAS, lyme, bart) has really low vitamin D. It's August and he's been practically living outside all spring and summer. We live on a hobby farm and probably get a lot more sun exposure than most people I know. I've read some things about vitamin D and it's effect on the immune system, and TH1 helper cells (hope I said that right), and I read about the Marshall protocol, which I find fascinating, but not willing to jump off that bridge. It's all a blur in my head right now, because I wasn't really paying attention to the vit D stuff, since I couldn't imagine my kids would be low with all their sun exposure. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow about this, and I don't feel very prepared. Does anyone have any vitamin D research bookmarked, and could you share the links? Thanks!

I don't have any links, but low vitD is VERY common for those with lyme. Some speculate that the body keeps the level of this hormone low on purpose to help deal with the lyme better (as the vitD can help the critters too). Some people supplement with vitD and it really increases levels, and others supplement and supplement and it doesn't make a difference to their levels.

I don't have any links, but low vitD is VERY common for those with lyme. Some speculate that the body keeps the level of this hormone low on purpose to help deal with the lyme better (as the vitD can help the critters too). Some people supplement with vitD and it really increases levels, and others supplement and supplement and it doesn't make a difference to their levels.

Is very low Vitamin D common in lyme or just a little low. My son's was 25.8 (32-100 is normal). He as well is out in the sun all the time, but we do live in PA.

On various message boards, I have seen plenty of posts in the mid 20's and also in the teens, so both are common to see. I remember once seeing someone post a single-digit score, my goodness! While some lab tests might indicate 32-100 as a normal range, most docs I run into want at least a score of 50 or higher and would consider 32 very low/unacceptable.