ACN Latitudes Forums

Broke out in hives!

DD was on Amoxicillin 500 MG twice a day. She's taken it before with no problems but on day 7 of this round, she broke out in itchy hives! We had to stop the Amoxicillin. She is on day 2 of hives but Benadryl is helping.

We've already tried Zithromax but the Amoxicillin seems to help her symptoms so much better than Zith.

Now what do we do??! No more -cillins :(

Just checked my ds's pandas log as I remembered a rash - it was a year ago, just after diagnosis, on day 9 of starting amoxicillin, not hives per say, but small red bumps all over. I was sure it was a reaction to the amox but the Dr said no, there are lots of viruses that go around that can cause that, so we continued on with the amox and it went away in 3days. Timimg was just a co-incidence I guess!

Hi - yeh, it could be another illness.

It could also be an amoxy rash which isn't an allergy as such but, as was explained by our immuno dr, the immune sytem sees an illness (often mono) and abx and gets confused and produces hives. This isn't an allergy and doesn't always preclude the further use of pens.

It could be a true IgE mediated Type I allergy.

Or it could be a serum sickness like reaction, which is less common but what our dd had. It is a Type III hypersensitivity and does preclude further use of pens. The reaction can take up to 3 weeks to resolve, tends to come on later in the course of abx and the hives instead of coming and going over a 24 hour period, changing where they are, stay in one place and become bruises. You also get joint pain with serum sickness and can have involvement of other organs. The hives are really vasculitis caused by deposition of immune complexes.

I doubt it's this, as it is far less common than the other things it could be, I just wanted to mention it for completeness.

Edited by dut

I'm not expert on this, but is it a possibility that it could be a herx reaction and that there could be some Lyme or other infection going on? I know that some people with Lyme or other tick born illnesses have broken out in rashes after starting abx.

Does it go away with Benadryl? I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that if it does, it would indicated an allergic reaction. I'm not sure if Benadryl would make a Lyme or other infection induced rash go away.

Does anyone else have insight on this.

Kara

This happened to my son too! I think it was also on day 7. I remember reading at the time about kids having a reaction the 2nd time around with it, and also on the 7th day. Not sure why though. My sons hives were rediculous.

So, no more ammox. for us either.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. Our daughter actually broke out in a rash while being treated with Amoxicillin. It didnt happen until day 6 or 7 of treatment, where as an allergic reaction usually occurs much sooner. It looked really bad with red raised bumps starting at her trunk, then moving to her arms and legs, then towards her face. It was slightly itchy. She did not have any respiratory or digestive symptoms. No swelling of face or throat, which would typical in an allergic reaction.

Fortunately our doctor recognized it as Nonallergic Amoxicillin Rash which is a regular known side effect of the medication that usually occurs between days 5-8 of treatment. She continued her treatment and the rash went away within a couple days! I have included a link about it. The pictures are very helpful. Although your child may have truly been allergic, just wanted to make sure you knew about this also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoxicillin

Just scroll down the page a little to see the rash section.