ACN Latitudes Forums

Chemar-Side Effects

mommy11

Hi mommy

the most serious side effect is TARDIVE DYSKINESIA which is an irreversible movement disorder far more serious than tics. Thankfully, we noticed the warning signs in my son before it got beyond control

Haldol also causes Prolactin stimulation . Prolactin is a pregnancy hormone associated with mammary gland enlargement.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, nevermind the adverse effect of increased prolactin on the developing male hormonal system.

Also, Haldol stimulates a voracious appetite while also causing horrid lethargy with the result that overeating and inactivity result in massive weight increase.

It also produced SERIOUS & self injurious psychotic episodes in my son...something we had never seen before he started it, and have never seen again since he came off it.

Then there is the serious toxic effect on the liver and other organs that a neuroleptic drug like Haldol causes.

It also seemed to affect his thermoregulation and he was always overheated.

My son is very musical, artistic and has a sharp wit and amazing sense of humour...all lost while on Haldol and didnt see a glimmer of them till he came off

He had no motivation, no energy etc etc etc, and another effect of haldol is that it makes people very sleepy all the time. His excellent grades at school also took a nose dive.

and

to top it all off......it barely helped his tics!

When we initially raised concerns about side effects, the neuro told us they were "very rare" I have since learned how absolutely common they are !!

I thank God that, although it took a long while for some of these side effects to dissipate, yet overall he recovered well, although a recent bout of kidney/liver problems he had has been attributed to an overall weakening of his system from the "brain drugs"

Had I known even a fraction of these side effects I would NEVER have allowed myself to have been bullied by the school he was at then or the neuro and the psychologist into allowing him to take that awful "medicine". I still cringe when I even think of it!

well, there you have it!

I sure hope I have helped you form a clear enough argument. Better a person should tic non stop than have to endure what Haldol did to my precious son.

ps MOST if not ALL of the other drugs also have variations on these side effects! (My son suffered toxic shock when they put him on Zyprexa, which we were told was "the safest"!)

My son was on ORAP which is like Haldol. He had many of the same side effects from the Orap as chemar described as related to Haldol. My son became very lethargic, almost no personality, and one of the worst side effects was hyperphagia (overeating)...seriously...it was UNBELIEVABLE...he was eating an enormous amount of food and crying and sobbing for more...he gained weight and looked soooo unhealthy.

On the Orap my son's tics did improve alot but over time he needed a higher dose to get the same effect. In the end it was absolutely no answer for us. Within a month of discontinuing the Orap my son lost about 10-15 pounds and grew. While on the Orap he did not grow.

Changing my son's diet and eliminating milk (casein) specifically and adding vitamins and supplements really helped my son.

Knowing what I know now...I would NEVER have put my son on Orap.

ronna

Thanks so much to both of you. We have an appointment for my son on Monday with a DAN doctor. I also just found out yesterday that my little one has an abcessed tooth!!! One thing after another....I am curious if that has someting to do with why his tics have been so intense.

Hi again mommy

YES the tooth abcess most certainly could be contributing to the tic explosion!! Not only is infection a trigger, but many people have found that the simple issue of a tooth coming out or in can cause elevated tics etc.

Garlic is a natural antibiotic and is very effective with tooth infections. If your son cant handle chewing on a clove, maybe try mashing it and applying a little at a time to the abcess

Medication should always be an option but it should be the last option especially when the medication was not designed for our kids issues or needs. At least that is my view on the matter. From our experience our kid was in really bad shape but with the alternative treatments that we have been using he is doing so so much better. It has been a long road, a road of many ups and downs. But it is a road that we are glad that we took. This road can be expensive but made affordable. Do not be shy to ask questions about what tests to take or not to take, how to get tests done without a doctor, cheaper brand names for the same medication. Etc. Most of all, when you have the chance try to read as many past posts page by page as you can. There is a ton of information on them from parents and doctors.