ACN Latitudes Forums

preventing reinfection

Rain

We are excited that my son will receive his first high dose IVIG next week. I am confident that we will see results, but terrified that it will all be for nothing if my DS (age 10) gets reinfected.

At that, I have coached him, that after the IVIG, he is to carry hand sanitizer with him at all times, and use it after touching anything. He is not to use drinking fountains, and never is to share food. He replied, "so once my OCD is cured, you want me to act like I have OCD?" Exactly.

Wish us luck.

Rain-

Good luck with the IVIG, I hope it brings healing for your child, and family.

I am going to comment on your thoughts about reinfection, and share my perspective.

We don't really do anything differently!

I have two girls with pandas ocd. One, in exacerbation, has an ocd fear of sick people and getting sick. So...

In my opinion, it is NOT possible to keep our kids from ever getting ill. It just really isn't. So I focus on management- having those things we need in place for when they do get sick.

I am not saying I don't have the occasional freak out, on the inside- but I keep that from them. I don't want to fuel any type of ocd, or real, fear of getting sick, or living life. They have to touch doorknobs, railings, spend time on public transportation and in classrooms. We certainly teach good hygiene, but not over the top. If I know someone has had strep- then I do avoid exposure. We have done prophylactic antibiotics, and imagine we will continue- but that is it.

Anyway- just thought I would share...