ACN Latitudes Forums

chlorine and symptom exacerbation?

OK, now I feel like I sound pretty crazy. However, I have noticed that each time we go swimming, my son seems to take a little (or a bigger)dive the following day. There have been 3 incidents with 3 different pools, one of which was his swim instructor's so I know she keeps the levels safe from germs. This has happened over the last 2 weeks since he started his new aggressive abx protocol from Dr. B. I would hope that any bacteria would be unable to cross into him with that much Augmentin and Azith daily! Could he be reacting to the chlorine iteself? I vaguely remembered reading something about this on this forum. Anyone want to justify my thought process or call me a nut?? -Kath ;)

OK, now I feel like I sound pretty crazy. However, I have noticed that each time we go swimming, my son seems to take a little (or a bigger)dive the following day. There have been 3 incidents with 3 different pools, one of which was his swim instructor's so I know she keeps the levels safe from germs. This has happened over the last 2 weeks since he started his new aggressive abx protocol from Dr. B. I would hope that any bacteria would be unable to cross into him with that much Augmentin and Azith daily! Could he be reacting to the chlorine iteself? I vaguely remembered reading something about this on this forum. Anyone want to justify my thought process or call me a nut?? -Kath ;)

My kids all have bad reactions to chlorine---all kinds of awful symptoms appear. They are better in a salt water pool, but not perfect. They have no issues with the ocean.

I suppose it depends on the child. My DS7 swims 3-4 times a week and was on our pool's swim team this year. He spends hours at the pool when we go. He is not affected by the chlorine or anything at the pool. I'd be more inclined to think the reaction was due to bacterial exposure, but I'm certainly no expert.

Interesting. My DS10 is terrified of pools (before PANDAS was on the swim team). He has identified pools as the single trigger that scares him the most. I wonder if he has (and you have) picked up on something...

Good luck to you.