ACN Latitudes Forums

"Breathing Tic"

Hello,

I am posting this in hopes of finding others who have experienced severe "Breathing Tics". My son who was diagnosed in 3rd grade with TS, developed a horrible Breathing Tic in 7th grade. The tic has been debilitating to the point he is no longer in school due to the distraction of just trying to catch his breath every 3 to 4 seconds 24/7. I have not seen nor heard of anyone during my Web searches who also has TS and this extreme Tic. I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you.

Hi,

A little over a year ago, my son developed a breathing tic, although it was not as extreme as the one you describe. It started to occur just as we were getting serious about addressing his tic issues. Once we started our adjustments (diet & supplements), the breathing tic went away. I have not noticed it since.

Chris

Hello,

Yes my DD now 11, has breathing tics. It is very alarming and listening to her actually throws my breathing off - where I find myself hyperventilating. I notice it most when she sits quietly and watches tv. She doesn't seem bothered by it. I don't ever notice it except when she is watching tv and especially if it is a stressful type show - like a mystery or something.

Good Luck!

First of all, you have my greatest empathy. I understand and am willing to hear all you have to say.

Second, can you guys describe this "breathing tic"? My son developed his deep breathe in tic around allergy season. Its like he drags the back of his tongue when he breathes in. I never know what to call it - it almost sounds like someone having an asthma attack who is struggling with breathing.

First of all, you have my greatest empathy. I understand and am willing to hear all you have to say.

Second, can you guys describe this "breathing tic"? My son developed his deep breathe in tic around allergy season. Its like he drags the back of his tongue when he breathes in. I never know what to call it - it almost sounds like someone having an asthma attack who is struggling with breathing.

My daughter inhales quickly one after another often. Like she inhales five times before exhaling. She will often lift her fingers to her mouth and inhale, drop her hand and then lift it again to her mouth inhale over and over again. Other times it is like she is sucking in air quickly, like trying to catch her breath. Usually though she puts her fingers to the corners of her mouth as she does it.

My DS11 has had several breathing type tics over the years. I never knew it was a tic until the last year! Would come and go- gasping type breathing- especially when talking- would take a big gulp of air before speaking. The run out of air before completing sentences. Gasp again- etc. Had speeech therapist perplexed for years, also. We even considered Spasmodic Dysphonia- rare syndrome which causes sorta the same thing. Now, that he is tic free- I know it was a breathing tic. Have seen it come and go enough, now, to recognize it for what it was.

It's been a long time since my son's breathing tic, and I don't have the time to search my original post on it. But I recall he would take long deep breaths in through his nose (almost like he was trying to breath in one side of his nose), usually toward the beginning of a sentence, interrupting it a little but not completely. Like most of his tics, he didn't realize he was doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a 32 year old male, and I have a pretty distracting breathing tic too, which ESPECIALLY emerges with some brands of coffee. Other brands of coffee mainly bring on facial tics; weird, I know. I've tried this a million times with different brands.

I mainly exhale hard rhytmically or just one hard time to get all the air out of my lungs and tense my stomach. This ends up making me a bit dizzy and makes it hard to inhale, because in essense my breathing tic is almost hyperventilating-breathing like, bringing on some feeling of oxygen "loss". A multi-vitamin has helped me with this tic, I'm not sure what part of the multi but something lessens the breathing tic. Probably a multitude of vitamins/minerals combined.

• 6 years later...

Hi nervoustic, welcome to the forums. Often people who find they help they need do not come back to the forum to update old posts. Do you want to tell us more about your tic -- when it started, when it seems to be the worst? Do you have any other symptoms?

• 5 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, nervoustic said:

Does your Tic happen through the nose or mouth? I have a terrible and annoying Tic where I exhale through my nose and I have no idea how to stop it.

I do it thru the mouth.

I try to keep my mind distracted. It helps.

It comes and goes.  I been taking Pimozoide(orap)

It does help.    Im 32 and its 2018 and still trying to overcome this.