ACN Latitudes Forums

Stem Cells

Guest pandas16

Guest pandas16

I know they're mighty expensive, but has anyone looked into this?

My case might be a little different because my parents don't have 3 or 4 kids with PANDAS.. just me. My sister is perfectly healthy. + I managed to graduate college and get a good job so I could support myself... & I only do support myself at the moment.

I know they're mighty expensive, but has anyone looked into this?

My case might be a little different because my parents don't have 3 or 4 kids with PANDAS.. just me. My sister is perfectly healthy. + I managed to graduate college and get a good job so I could support myself... & I only do support myself at the moment.

Ok... I need some help understanding how stem cells might help with PANDAS. What are you thinking?

I have spent a little time looking into it. We banked DS's cord blood. But I couldn't find anyone doing research on anything like Pandas. The money is going into those diseases where there's a big bang for the buck. The research is expensive and is only going to go into areas where lots of patients can be helped (and charged for therapeutic treatments). Not being cynical. It's just something that has to have a payoff, both in profit and in human impact. Without knowing "the" cause and what they're trying to "fix" no one is yet willing to throw darts - especially in a generally pediatric population.

I have a friend who is in China as we speak getting stem cell treatments for her son. NOT PANDAS--something else entirely. But in China the use of stem cell therapies has become a huge market. Here's a link:

http://www.stemcellschina.com/index.php/en/enquiry-en/inquiry-en?blog

PANDAS does not show up on their list but that doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed. The rodent research on bone marrow transplantation and OCD_Trich is very promising.

I'd try it in a heartbeat but i don't know of anyone in the US who's providing this kindo f tx.

Mary

from Michigan

I talked to my son's PANDAS doc a few months ago about it - we were trying to have another baby when he got sick last Fall and we abandoned our mission for a 2nd kiddo d/t his PANDAS. However, the same thought had occurred to us after my son had been sick for a while. I was told that nothing is happenig in that area for PANDAS kids and that banking cord blood from a sibling now, will likely not help my son who is turning 5 in Sept. In other words, by the time research gets to that, if it does, my son wil be much older.

Hello pandas16

I have 2sons, older one is a high achieving normal young man and younger one is with pandas but normal intelligent( He is not in your caliber in term

intelligence but I think you are a remarkable young woman so no comparison there) So in many ways, my son's pandas case is very similar to yours and yes I have been looking for stem cell as a possible next step for my son even though it is a long shot at this point.