ACN Latitudes Forums

INFECTION TRIGGERED ADDISON'S DISEASE.

When Addison's Disease was first described all of the original patients' adrenal glands had been damaged by Tuberculosis, not the general autoimmune process typically attributed to the disease today. Now I know that Amanda Ramsey's daughter & I have both been suspected to have Addison's so I wanted to ask around to see if anyone else with Lyme on here also had endocrine problems. Addison's or otherwise.

Although I can't find much good literature about it, I figure that if any infection feasibly COULD damage the glands like that, I bet ours could. Lyme, Babesia, Mycoplasma, Bartonella, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma... Addison's Disease causes low blood pressure, hyperpigmentation, MOOD CHANGES, Sodium/Potassium imbalances, fatigue, headaches, joint/muscle pain, gastrointestinal issues & more. With the exception of a few unique ones like hyperpigmentation (which I have), quite a few of the Addison's symptoms sound like Lyme ones. Obviously I don't think everyone with Lyme has Addison's or vice versa but for those of us who have had problems with these specific things, have you ever been tested? What about CT scans to check for visible damage of the kindeys/adrenal glands? What do you think?

The soonest appointment we could get with a pediatric endocrinologist down here was October 26th, so it will be quite a while before I get any answers...

I know a lot of those with lyme have adrenal issues, just like other hormones are also issues, and fatigue goes hand-in-hand with the adrenal insufficiency. A new doc I recently went to did an office test that suggested I am caught in the "fight-or-flight" mode, and did ordered some more official testing to confirm that. So, sounds like adrenals are still an issue. At this point, nobody has suggested anything fancier or more official such as Addison's.

What does the "fight or flight part" mean? I have yet to do even a basic blood draw. Obviously I want an actual endocrinologist to do the stimulation tests (ACTH & insulin) but I don't know why no one will just take my blood. -____- I've been interested in Addison's & Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, although I know I don't have the latter, because they tend to go hand in hand & have symptoms that sound quite a bit like Lyme. I hope you get some answers soon! :)

Pandas16, I do use homeopathy. My LLMD combines alternative & conventional medicine so I am on pharmaceuticals as well as supplements & such.

The "fight-or-flight" response is chemical and hormonal and is said to be designed to deal with crisis, such as if you were being chased by a big bear that wanted to eat you, or a small child were trapped underneath a heavy object and you need to garner strength and energy to deal with the situation. Hormones and chemicals do this-and-that to make it happen, the adrenal system is a key part of this.

Somehow these days people can end up being triggered by too many things and they end up stuck in that mode. Of maybe they have a serious incident that causes PTSD and they have trouble getting over it. Or perhaps in some cases it can be more hormonal/chemical imbalance from the lyme disease and not emotionally based at all.

In my case, I sure don't know what is behind it at this point. But that is what that phrase is referring to (the idea that you have to quickly fight the bear or run away from the bear, ...).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, another woman who sees the same doctor corrected me. Our doctor uses NATUROPATHY. not homeopathy. Honest mistake on my part.

I won't get into it because I'm not interested in sparking a debate, simply stating my view, but I haven't tried homeopathy because I do not believe in it.