ACN Latitudes Forums

miralax

Has anyone noticed that their child's tics started or significantly increased after using Miralax? Two years ago my daughter caught a nasty gut infection while we were on a cruise. After symptoms continued for several weeks and all stool tests were negative, we took her to see a pedi Gi doc. He felt that there was a possibility that she could have chronic constipation and suggested that she start on Miralax. After a couple of months and an improvement in belly pain (though I don't actually think due to constipation) we weaned her off of the Miralax. Her tics started at some point during that time around when I was weaning her off. Several months later, she developed intermittent nausea and was treated with Zantac and Prevacid until her symptoms resolved approximately 4 months later. Now, one year later, the intermittent nausea has returned. We are scheduled to see the GI doc tomorrow, so I was doing some research on the internet trying to come up with some connection btwn the initial gut infection and the recurring nausea. It occurred to me to google Miralax/children/side effects. I found nothing about nausea, but to my horror, discovered that there are a several cases of children who developed neurologic sxs (particularly tics) while on Miralax. From what I read, the assumption is that although the Miralax should not be absorbed, in some cases it actually is (possibly related to leaky gut). Has anyone had this experience with Miralax or heard anything like it? There is no worse feeling than thinking that you were unknowingly giving your child something that could have such a devastating consequence.

Hi,

My son dealt with constipation for a couple of years or so. Following dr.'s instructions, we even went so far as to administer enemas on two ocassions over the course of the time he was having the issues. And yes, Miralax was what he took during this time to help out. He did have an early episode with tics that came and went, and it was almost certainly around the time he was dealing with constipation. His early tic onset was worrisome, but I never went so far as to investigate treatment, because it went away within a couple of months. And by the time his tics began to manifest again several years later, his constipation issues had been over for a good while (several years). But now I'll go back and see if I can connect some dots. Thanks for the heads up!

- Chris

• 2 weeks later...

You may not be the only person to experience this. If you go to Google and type in "Miralax tic" you will notice that it is a suggestion in the drop down box, which means enough people have already searched for it that Google thinks it may be what you want to search for.

You may want to look at some of the search results.