ACN Latitudes Forums

Urgent...zith. or keflex for strep? ped. and DR. L apparently HATE zit

Got ped. to call in rx for dd7's sister. dd7 was positive for strep yesterday with no symptoms other than tics way worse for past 10 days. dd9 started tics and separation anxiety/emot. lability is through the roof this week. her rapid was negative yesterday. husband and i want her treated anyway.

So ped. from yesterday is not in today. Ped. yesterday said he HATES zith. for strep and rx'd keflex. (he also talked to dr. latimer and said she hates it too for strep). Ped. today called in zithromax for dd9. Asked if they could change it to keflex.......

Any thoughts????? So tired of being the one to use my brain. Would someone just figure this #$@* disease out and tell us what to do?!?!?! Wow, that felt good! Seriously, I know none of you are docs, but WWYD??

The ped's in my office say the same thing for strep and Zith. I think certain areas may see more resistent strains?

Were they already on any antibiotics? When strep re-entered my house, the kids went on Omnicef but depending on insurance, it could be a pricey prescription. It was for us. For all 3 kids, it cost a total of near $200. Keflex is also a cephalosporin but I believe it costs less.

Otherwise, you can go for Augmentin.

Edited by Vickie

So is that it though? 2 weeks and then no more antibiotics? That's my question. Zithromax has not put dd in remission. Been on it 8 months. So now we actually DO have strep (she was on augmentin for a month per dr. l, then the low dose zith, with no documented strep). So if after 10 days the strep is gone, then what? If symptoms are still there (symptoms of tics, ocd, etc.....not strep....she had no strep symptoms as it was)?

dcmom....you know what, that brings me back to the whole "how do antibiotics really help?" question. Autoimmune means antibodies are reacting with the brain. The brain is not going anywhere, so once there is autoimmune going on against the brain, it seems there would be no way to stop it, right? Sigh.

Got ped. to call in rx for dd7's sister. dd7 was positive for strep yesterday with no symptoms other than tics way worse for past 10 days. dd9 started tics and separation anxiety/emot. lability is through the roof this week. her rapid was negative yesterday. husband and i want her treated anyway.

So ped. from yesterday is not in today. Ped. yesterday said he HATES zith. for strep and rx'd keflex. (he also talked to dr. latimer and said she hates it too for strep). Ped. today called in zithromax for dd9. Asked if they could change it to keflex.......

Any thoughts????? So tired of being the one to use my brain. Would someone just figure this #$@* disease out and tell us what to do?!?!?! Wow, that felt good! Seriously, I know none of you are docs, but WWYD??

PUT THEM ON KEFLEX!