ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS Network Newsletter

i know it says "and interested public" -- anyone know how technical it will be -- although i do feel i've earned a PhD in pandasology in the past 2.5 years!!:lol:

much thanks to those that had a hand in organizing!

i'd really like to go -- could we do a response or something on this thread for those that do actually register?

Edited by smartyjones

Unfortunately, this symposium is not open to the public.

I believe it was miscommunicated otherwise. the meeting October 13 and 14 has two purposes: (1) scientific exchange in aid of understanding the mechanism(s) of the disease and (2) physician education and awareness to improve diagnosis and treatment.

Collectively, perhaps the already existing advocacy groups, along with the PANDAS community should consider what it would take to have sometime in the future a unique forum for parent advocates, parent awareness, and parent support-- and for something like that we could truly open it to the public.

Edited by laurenjohnsonsmom

Per Diana Pohlman…

The above post by laurenjoshnsmom was a direct quote from Dr. Karen Newell. Apparently both Diana Pohlman and Lynn Johnson were recently sent the same message. By being a private event this allows for an intimate discussion among scientists.

The Texas A&M website will be changed accordingly to reflect not being opened to the public.

Dr. Newell cares deeply about the parents and would like to find ways to opening future, similar events to the public.

Vickie, my post had nothing to do with any correspondence that Dr. Newell had specifically with Diana Polman.

I inquired about the conferenced being open to all parents (as I had heard) and Dr. Newell responding explaining what the conference was intended for, 3 days ago and asked me to share this so that no one would make any travel plans.

I only found out about the mistake because here at the PRN we are extremely careful to validate all information and approval before announcing something as important as this.

I believe the administrator of this forum re: mentioning doctors names specifically. I apologize for having to break this rule to respond to your aforementioned post.

Lynn

Per Diana Pohlman…

The above post by laurenjoshnsmom was a direct quote from Dr. Karen Newell. Apparently both Diana Pohlman and Lynn Johnson were recently sent the same message. By being a private event this allows for an intimate discussion among scientists.

The Texas A&M website will be changed accordingly to reflect not being opened to the public.

Dr. Newell cares deeply about the parents and would like to find ways to opening future, similar events to the public.

One more note...

The only item in my post that was any type of quote was the portion that Dr. N personally explained the purpose to me including..

"(1) scientific exchange in aid of understanding the mechanism(s) of the disease and (2) physician education and awareness to improve diagnosis and treatment."

I'm guessing that she would use that same explanation to anybody that inquired about the conference.

Again, collectively, perhaps the already existing advocacy groups, along with the PANDAS community should consider what it would take to have sometime in the future a unique forum for parent advocates, parent awareness, and parent support-- and for something like that we could truly open it to the public.

Lynn