ACN Latitudes Forums

Head Shaking

mommy11

Hi-

My 8 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with tourettes when he was 4. In the last month he has had a head shaking tic (back and forth like no) all day! 4 weeks...every 10-30 seconds.... It doesn't appear to be waning. We have an appointment with neuro on Monday. I don't want to do meds. However, the fact that this particular tic has not been able to wane is really scaring me. This is the longest a tic has lasted this consistently for him. He tells me it is really annoying and he can't wait for it to go away! Does this seem severe? Has anyone else seen a tic last this long with this type of frequency??? He is TS only and we have removed all screens, caffeine, corn syrup....No real changes though with that. He has had maybe 1 or 2 slower ticcing days in the past 4 weeks. Help!!!!! I am going crazy and crying myself to sleep every night after I finally hear him stop ticcing away in his bed.

Hi Mommy11,

When I was your son's age I had the same tic except mine was head shaking every 2-3 seconds. I had this tic for several years. Your son's right it is really annoying and probably very painful too. Just because mine lasted a long time doesn't mean your son's will. Dairy is a big tic trigger. For this tic I would suggest back/neck rubs or if you can get a professional massage done that would be great too. Massage or Chinese cupping takes my head jerking tics and I very rarely get them anymore unless I'm excited/stressed or am at the tsa conference and pick it up from someone there. Other things I use are vitamins, allergy shots, acupuncture, Chinese cupping, Methyl-B12 shots, and Chelation via transdermal dmps. I've had awesome results with all of these things. Other things you can try if its painful for him are baths, washcloth over forehead if he has headaches from them.

Carolyn

Yes, that's right. Yes, I tried several meds. Botox was even suggested at 7 years old. I'm very against meds. Meds for me didn't often help with the tics and if they did slightly they had horrible side effects that wern't worth it. Yes, I had problems in school socially. I got made fun of everyday because of my tics and I hardly talked in school. My tics are pretty mild now, but I had very severe tics when I was younger. I'm in college and do very well.

Carolyn

Guest Deirdre

Hi-

My 8 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with tourettes when he was 4. In the last month he has had a head shaking tic (back and forth like no) all day! 4 weeks...every 10-30 seconds.... It doesn't appear to be waning. We have an appointment with neuro on Monday. I don't want to do meds. However, the fact that this particular tic has not been able to wane is really scaring me. This is the longest a tic has lasted this consistently for him. He tells me it is really annoying and he can't wait for it to go away! Does this seem severe? Has anyone else seen a tic last this long with this type of frequency??? He is TS only and we have removed all screens, caffeine, corn syrup....No real changes though with that. He has had maybe 1 or 2 slower ticcing days in the past 4 weeks. Help!!!!! I am going crazy and crying myself to sleep every night after I finally hear him stop ticcing away in his bed.

Mommy11,

Nope, supplements were never tried when I was young. Wish they were though, but I'm glad they are now. There was an amino acids test done on me when I was little. The lows in so many different amino acids were amazing, but yet no one did anything with it.

Carolyn

• 3 years later...

My son is 8 and started violent neck tic when he was 7. Drugs did not work. We opted for Botox in his neck. Miracle. The tics were gone for 5 months. Then the neck movement started again, so we got him more Botox. In about a week, tics were gone. It is possible to get Botox every 3 months if needed.

Such a wonderful relief.

Here's a great link with more information on safe use of Botox for children with movement disorders:

http://wuphysicians.wustl.edu/news.aspx?ID=736

Best wishes to all parents going through stressful times with tics.

---

Hi-

My son is 8 and started violent neck tic when he was 7. Drugs did not work. We opted for Botox in his neck. Miracle. The tics were gone for 5 months. Then the neck movement started again, so we got him more Botox. In about a week, tics were gone. It is possible to get Botox every 3 months if needed.

Such a wonderful relief.

Here's a great link with more information on safe use of Botox for children with movement disorders:

http://wuphysicians.wustl.edu/news.aspx?ID=736

Best wishes to all parents going through stressful times with tics.

---

Hi-

All of my tics are constant they usually dont go away so i guess its not that bad. Unless somethings REALLLY wrong with me .