ACN Latitudes Forums

Help with medications?

I give:

8am ....... Minocycline (on empty belly, with lots of water)

10am.......Bactrim

3pm.........Minocycline (on empty belly with lots of water)

7pm.........Bactrim

9:30pm.....2 Melatoin, and 6mg. of Seroquel.

10PM........Sprinkle of Culturelle

Pharmacist said:

to give seroquel 2 hours apart from probiotic.

Minocycline should be given on empty belly and 2 hours away from the bactrim. Does this sound right? Does anyone give 2 abx. together?

Wilma,

I would go by what Dr. J says instead of the Pharmacist. We give our daughter minocycline with her food at dinner. Dr. J is fine with that. We also combine antibiotics at the same time (but she is not on Bactrim -- so not positive about that one). Many on doxy are told by their llmd to take it with food, even though the bottle states otherwise. Give his office a call.

also- make sure she doesn't lay down for 1/2 hour after the minocin.

We do not use minocycline, but our LLMD and Pandas docs have all been ok with us giving multiple abx at the same time. We've given omnicef+bactrim+zith at the same time - no issues. Don't see why you'd need to space them apart, other than to be gentler for the gut. We give with meals to make it easier on the stomach and for convenience. But even if mino needs to be taken on an empty stomach, check w/your doctor to see if you can give it 30 min before a meal and then bactrim at end of meal.

Personal opinion - a sprinkle of culturelle isn't enough. We didn't find great success with culturelle. We had better gut health with either sacc. boulardis or Theralac. Whatever you decide, one capsule of Culturelle is only 10 Bill CFUs - I'd shoot for 20-30 Billion ans many here use much much more.

I also don't see any detox in your regimen. You may want to consider Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) or glutathione in the a.m. on an empty stomach (could be taken with the minocycline). Or milk thistle at bedtime with the probiotic. Or other detox like clay if you could get your daughter to drink it. We've found that supporting the body is just as important to recovery as having the right combo of abx - and it's very important in reducing the impact of a herx.

All of this should be run by your doctor or qualified practitioner.

Neither of our LLMD's or our pharmacist has told us to take Minocin on an emtpy stomach. (but did tell me to take Rifampin on an empty stomach because its efficacy is reduced by food) Dd takes Minocin, Zithromax, and Augmentin at the same time and with food. And on the Tindamax days she takes those at the same time. The antibiotics that need to be taken twice a day should be taken as close to 12 hours apart as possible. 7 hours isn't very far apart.

Probiotics 2 hours or more after antibiotics.

I give the minocycline same time with rifampin. The rifampin needs to be on an empty stomach but the second minocycline I give after dinner time and don't need to worry if we ate late or he's taking it around a snack. I give probiotics twice a day if I can. The mino should be given around 10 to 12 hours apart.

Edited by lismom