Jump to content
ACN Latitudes Forums

Recommended Posts

I wish I had known about this earlier - my kids don't have any more baby teeth. Has anyone used xylitol gum or mouthwash before and after the dentist or while having a loose tooth? I found these articles:

 

Effect of xylitol chewing gum on salivary Streptococcus mutans in preschool children

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12119821

 

Effect of Xylitol on Growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae in the Presence of Fructose and Sorbitol

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC90255

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband just got back from Dr. B and Dr. B said not to use the nasal spray. Xylitol is a sugar and feeds bacteria. Stick with saline once a week.

Edited by mkur
Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense to Dr B, but I would assume he is familiar with the studies associated with Xylitol and how it interacts differently with bacteria than other sweeteners? I'm just curious what his response was so I am familiar with everyone's opinions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any more info on this? I have not re-ordered yet, but everything I have read points to xylitol being good at keeping strep at bay. My mom (who is 77 today!) has had lifelong, untreated sinsus problems. They got much worse later in life, so I am concerned for the rest of us not to go down that road.

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...