ACN Latitudes Forums

scd diet or nac

Hi

Just started my 9yr old dughter with the supplement NAC for Ocd (Pandas diagnosed Jan/11) and the SCD diet.Our doctor recommended both very strongly so its been only a week with anxiety diminishing every day.Anyone who has tried either Nac or diet would love to hear.What a hopeful day

Have not used the SCD Diet; in fact, I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up! Because our DS puts up with SO much in dealing with PANDAS, getting very restrictive with diet is one of the battles we've not yet decided to fight with him. We do restrict dairy and eat organic as much as possible, no MSG, but that's about it.

As for NAC, yes, we use it and do believe it assists with the OCD behaviors. We began it slowly and built up dosage as I believe it can cause some gastro distress if you dose it too high initially. I've also been told to make sure DS gets plenty of Vitamin C as it helps process the increased NAC. He's adult-sized (14yo, 5'5" and 140 lbs.), and we give him 3,000 mg. NAC daily with 3,750 mg. Vitamin C daily.

One note I'd add is that, for a short time, we tried a "time-release" form of NAC, thinking maybe it would be even better for DS; we had some pretty dismal results with that, though. So I can't recommend it. We buy the regular old caplets, Vitamin Shoppe brand.

Good luck! Let us know how that SCD diet goes, especially! Thanks!

Tried NAC in the beginning when son's OCD was most severe. I remember we slowly worked up to the recommended daily dosage and kept at it for a couple of weeks. We did not see any benefit. He had other neurological and psychological symptoms long before the OCD showed up though so likely we are just fighting a different battle.

We are doing the GAPS diet (a more intense form of SCD diet) and homeopathy....have seen great improvements with

both. Please PM me if you need more info.

God bless!

Holly

Thanks for your response. I've read about the GAPS diet and just wondered if symptoms of anxiety got worse at the beginning of the diet.I understand that a die off period happens with the intestinal bacteria sending toxins through the body in high volume.Did your child experience any of this and how long did it last? My daughter is having some OCD symptoms that are worse than ever. Thanks so much Sue

We did have off and on periods of die-off during the intro phase of the diet...oddly coupled with a drastic improvement in her handwriting. The results from the homeopathy have been more stunning than with the diet, though. Check out Joette Calabrese if you want to look into that modality of healing (www.homeopathyworks.net - I think that's the website). We do consultations through Skype. Still doing GAPS after 6 months, and plan to continue for at least 1.5 years.

God bless!

Holly