ACN Latitudes Forums

When to consider intensive treatment?

Hi all,

I'm new here but am already getting so much out of reading the posts. Thank God for this forum.

DS is 16 with a complicated medical history. Before aged 12, presented with HFA, sensory issues,some learning challenges/ ADD, mild OCD, severe food intolerances, poor growth/inability to gain weight. We did a whole lot of different kinds of therapies to treat all this, mostly natural and holistic ones. At 12, he began to have severe fatigue and frequent infections, and after being housebound for months, was diagnosed with a mild immune deficiency and was treated for 2 years with IVIG and SCIG. He regained his functionality, attended a homeschool co-op, and began to have a more normal life. Then, this past year in April, had a severe PANDAS episode-was diagnosed with PANDAS and started treatment-high dose antibiotics, steroid burst, and weekly immunoglobulin for his immune deficiency-not at high enough dose to treat PANDAS. He is doing much better but is still mostly housebound. He did not finish 9th grade last year, and even though he is improving at a steady pace, not sure he will be well enough to go back to school in the fall.

When do you all think it would be appropriate to consider intensive treatment? My husband and I think that if he was not able to attend school in the fall then we would enroll him in an intensive program. But since he is showing steady signs of improvement, would this be a good idea? How fast should improvement with PANDAS be if it is being appropriately treated?

Thanks for any advice!

Cyndi, mom to Lucas