ACN Latitudes Forums

Bad news...PANDAS son has Myco P

My PANDAS son started with an occassional cough and low fever (highest was 100.9). After a few days he started to get better, fever broke. Then last night, the cough seemed to occur more often and was harsher. We ended up taking him to urgent care and he was dx with Mycoplasma Pneumonia.

Good news...no PANDAS symptoms.

He has been put on 5 days of Azith, threw up the first dose, but we will try it again after lunch as per the pharmacist's directions. He will continue the proph Pen VK even while on the Azith.

My background:

3 strep triggered exacerbations. For awhile reacted to non-strep triggers inc viruses and allergies. Overcame residual OCD. Been symptom free for almost two years.

Anyway, thought some might want to know that some PANDAS kids may get Myco P without a flare occuring. I hope this is a sign that his immune system is calming down.

Edited by Vickie

Vickie,

So very glad to hear that he's not having any issues! Know you're probably holding your breath a bit, but this is so great! I hope it holds steady and the myco is quickly resolved. If not, I have no doubt you'll be on top of it. So happy for you!

Laura

Wow, that Myco P is more common than realized I think! My DS3 is battling it right now and I just got over it. My son does get pretty bad behavioral symptoms while infected though. Within 2 to 3 days of abx he seems like a much different child. Glad to hear your ds does not react to it!

Vickie I'm glad it seems things are going okay. Hoping it stays that well!!! I know you do too. Having those myco p symptoms is probably a good sign too since if I'm remembering correctly he's asymptomatic to strep. Know that I'm thinking of y'all. ((((HUGS))))

Yes, Sarah Jane...I already told my husband how I am actually relieved he has symptoms since he is asymptomatic to strep. Coincidentally, my other son, who is not PANDAS is also asymptomatic to strep but gets symptoms with Myco P. I'm telling you, though, it would be so easy to dismiss these symtpoms as something else and as a parent not see a reason to ever take them to the doctor for it. I debated for a few days before taking him.

Right now, his low grade fever, high non-fever...whatever you would call it...has leveled off and his temp is back to normal. His cough is worsening a bit (more often) as the doctor would happen when starting abx for it. She said it will worsen at first then slowly get better.

Vickie I'm glad it seems things are going okay. Hoping it stays that well!!! I know you do too. Having those myco p symptoms is probably a good sign too since if I'm remembering correctly he's asymptomatic to strep. Know that I'm thinking of y'all. ((((HUGS))))

Edited by Vickie