ACN Latitudes Forums

Bontech vitamins

plsrn96

My 7 year old son has recently been dx with tourettes. His MD would like to put him on medication. I would like to exhaust all alternatives before placing him on any current medications offered. Has anyone used the products from bontech? I am trying to get feedback prior to ordering. Thank you, also here is the website for the bontech products http://bonniegr.com

Hi and welcome :)

Bonnie is the "pioneer" in the field of supplement use for treatment of TS tics, and she is also a very helpful and knowledgable person.

Her products are very pure and very carefully formulated and many people, including some regular posters here, have used her products with great success for themselves and/or their children.

Some people find that they tic a bit more when they first start using her products but then it levels out and begins to show marked reduction.

Others just dont seem to be able to use her supps because they tic more on them...maybe because they dont require all that is in them or for some other reason. these people do however still find help from supplements by putting together their own program ( best under physician guidance)

you are very wise to try to avoid the meds IMHO as they all carry the risk of side effects, some serious.

here is a link to what we did to help our son, who went from very severe TS to very mild when we used natural treatments.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=687

hope that helps and I am sure that you will get lots more input from the other forum members

all the best

plsrn96,

Just wanted to say welcome, and that both of my boys take the bontech vitamins. We have seen wonderful results with them. We also use her EPA/DHA, and additional mag. taurate occasionally. If you have any questions that you feel I could help with, please feel free to ask!

kim

Hi, plsrn96,

My son is about the same age as your son. He was diagnosed with TS about a month ago. I have used Bontech vitamin for my son for 2 weeks. So far, his condition is stable and tics are between minor and moderate. I also add magnesium, fish oil, calcium, and opc.

Have you discussed your son's condition with school? There are some brochures from TSA (tourette syndrome association) that are very helpful for school teachers to understand my son's condition.

Tourette Syndrome Association http://www.tsa-usa.org/

:) Hsi

My son, who is 10, has been on Bonnie's supplements for over one year. I have noticed a decrease in his tics of about 50% since starting the supplements. One other tremendous benefit he has experienced from the vitamins is his concentration ability increased. Prior to the supplements, he was bringing home about 2 hours of homework each day because he couldn't focus enough in class to finish daily assignments. Within one week of starting the vitamins, he was finishing all of his work in class. His teacher thought I started him on medication due to the tremendous improvement. She was shocked when I told her that the change was due to vitamins.

Thank you all so much for your response. There is so much to learn and I feel I can not do it fast enough to help my son. I have read much on the non-yeast diet by Dr Bruce Semon, from Glendale WI. Anyone following that diet? I am still searching for a local physician to help guide me with vitamins and a more homeopathic alternative. Again thank you all, this site is wonderful and I appreicate all the input and support. Patty

Hi Patty,

Bonnie's Vitamins are wonderful for a lot of people and I applaud her for her pioneering vitamin therapy for TS. My son, unfortunately, didn't do well on her vitamins (or several others we tried). I am now armed with why, which I didn't know when we started them. My son has high histamine - we had his neurotransmitters tested and found out lots of stuff which we are addressing with great success but having high histamine means that folate (folic acid) is a no no - it just makes things worse. Almost all multivitamins, including Bonnie's, have folate. That was a great piece of information when we found this out - it explained so much. Another no no for histamine is choline. The fish oils didn't agree with my son either (possibly due to choline) but could be a lot of reasons. We have him on flax seed and borage which works wonders and gets him his omegas.

Another thing we found out was that for whatever reason he doesn't break B6 down very well (it might be the reason he's so out of whack in the first place) and he takes P5P which is one step closer to being broken down. He's thriving on that.

We essentially follow Bonnie's lead in that vitamins are integral to his health and diminishing tics but we've had to give him separate vitamins so that we aren't giving him the things that make him worse. He ends up having to take a lot of them but they are more individulized because of his own physiology. Perhaps that's why some do well, and some don't.

Getting a great DAN doctor, Environmental doc or integrative doc who do these kinds of tests will really help you cut to the chase and eliminates the trial and error (and wasting of time and money) that is involved without one. I don't know if I read it here or at Brain Talk but one person said "they tried diet and vitamins and they didn't work" and I can see why. Each of these guys has different issues and there isn't a one fix all. For example I was desperately trying to find out what types of foods might be triggers for my son. I suspected gluten, casein and soy. I was eliminating all those but he wasn't getting any better, maybe even a little worse. When I finally had a delayed food allergy blood test done I had a huge "Aha" moment (well, I actually cried tears of joy) because there, right before me was why. He was allergic to corn! :) When I had taken gluten out of his diet I replaced it with corn! No bread? Corn chips and corn tortillas. No wheat cereal? O.K., then corn flakes! No crackers - pop corn! Poor kid! No wonder he was still doing horribly! When we took the corn away (and bananas, he was allergic to those too, which included arrowroot flour, part of the banana family) it was amazing. Over half his tics totally went away!

It just pays to have some of these tests done - and all of them were paid by insurance because our doctor didn't put it down as Tourettes -which in fact was true. They were allergy and chronic loose stools - all the allergens were ripping his poor gut up. It just so happens that it helped his tics as well. I see his tics as a symptom. Like a runny nose - get rid of the cold and the runny nose goes away.

Good luck, read lots, ask lots of questions, trust your intuition, never give up and WELCOME!

Giselle

P.S. My son is almost tic free now - he only does a few finger crunches now and again if he's super stressed out. He used to tic about 40 times every minute, mostly phonic but many times with painful neck, jaw and back tics. He also has OCD - also gone.

Hi:

I have discovered a natural website with testimonials that say that have cured children and adults with ADHD as well as tics and decide to give it a shot for my daughter whose six and suffers from chronic tics. She had headjerking that went on for minutes at a time and vocal yelping loudly that was driving us nuts. I started her on this treatment three weeks ago and amazingly her vocal tic is completely gone and head jerking is gone and now she has a milder tic which is jumping but that is also slowly down as well. We are so happy and I am hoping that is was the herbs becuase I have also made some small modification such as changing her toothpaste which had blue coloring to a natural base toothpaste as well as got her off her candy that she loves. I think its worth a try. If interested the website is called nativeremedies.com

GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK.

Evelynr

• 4 years later...

Hi Patty,

Bonnie's Vitamins are wonderful for a lot of people and I applaud her for her pioneering vitamin therapy for TS. My son, unfortunately, didn't do well on her vitamins (or several others we tried). I am now armed with why, which I didn't know when we started them. My son has high histamine - we had his neurotransmitters tested and found out lots of stuff which we are addressing with great success but having high histamine means that folate (folic acid) is a no no - it just makes things worse. Almost all multivitamins, including Bonnie's, have folate. That was a great piece of information when we found this out - it explained so much. Another no no for histamine is choline. The fish oils didn't agree with my son either (possibly due to choline) but could be a lot of reasons. We have him on flax seed and borage which works wonders and gets him his omegas.

Another thing we found out was that for whatever reason he doesn't break B6 down very well (it might be the reason he's so out of whack in the first place) and he takes P5P which is one step closer to being broken down. He's thriving on that.

We essentially follow Bonnie's lead in that vitamins are integral to his health and diminishing tics but we've had to give him separate vitamins so that we aren't giving him the things that make him worse. He ends up having to take a lot of them but they are more individulized because of his own physiology. Perhaps that's why some do well, and some don't.

Getting a great DAN doctor, Environmental doc or integrative doc who do these kinds of tests will really help you cut to the chase and eliminates the trial and error (and wasting of time and money) that is involved without one. I don't know if I read it here or at Brain Talk but one person said "they tried diet and vitamins and they didn't work" and I can see why. Each of these guys has different issues and there isn't a one fix all. For example I was desperately trying to find out what types of foods might be triggers for my son. I suspected gluten, casein and soy. I was eliminating all those but he wasn't getting any better, maybe even a little worse. When I finally had a delayed food allergy blood test done I had a huge "Aha" moment (well, I actually cried tears of joy) because there, right before me was why. He was allergic to corn! :) When I had taken gluten out of his diet I replaced it with corn! No bread? Corn chips and corn tortillas. No wheat cereal? O.K., then corn flakes! No crackers - pop corn! Poor kid! No wonder he was still doing horribly! When we took the corn away (and bananas, he was allergic to those too, which included arrowroot flour, part of the banana family) it was amazing. Over half his tics totally went away!

It just pays to have some of these tests done - and all of them were paid by insurance because our doctor didn't put it down as Tourettes -which in fact was true. They were allergy and chronic loose stools - all the allergens were ripping his poor gut up. It just so happens that it helped his tics as well. I see his tics as a symptom. Like a runny nose - get rid of the cold and the runny nose goes away.

Good luck, read lots, ask lots of questions, trust your intuition, never give up and WELCOME!

Giselle

P.S. My son is almost tic free now - he only does a few finger crunches now and again if he's super stressed out. He used to tic about 40 times every minute, mostly phonic but many times with painful neck, jaw and back tics. He also has OCD - also gone.

Hi Giselle,

I am starting to suspect that my son is allergic to bananas, (he is already allergic to pollen and there is a connection between food allergy like bananas an pollen).

I am going to a new allergist this weekend and I was wondering which test did your DAN doctor did to your son.

thanks!

Hi deby

just wanted to let you know that this thread is from 2005 and Giselle hasnt been here for quite a while...hopefully because her son is still doing so well :)

I've noticed this post is old, but didn't followed Giselle's posts to check if she's still in the forum.

I was searching people who wrote that bananas was affecting their kids vocal tics, since I'm suspecting that for my DS8.

What I still couldn't find what is triggering the motor tics, could it be completely different things? or it might be related to other food sensitivity in the same banana family?