ACN Latitudes Forums

Focus Meds

I was wondering if anyone has used meds for focus and what has worked or has not worked??? The focus continues to be our biggest obstacle. I would love to hear experiences in prescription meds and natural. I am open to anything at this point. I have asked this question before, but I hope to get more input. Thanks in advance!!! :)

Hello!

I want to preface this reply with the fact that my DS (14) that has ADHD does not have tics. That being said, he was diagnosed at age 6 and went on Strattera, it was fantastic for him and worked really well until he hit puberty. For some reason at that point the Strattera started making him feel sad, nothing major, but enough that we took him off of it.

I am now going the natural route with him, I am not going to lie to you, nothing has worked as well as the meds. The doctor's want to try him on a stimulant, but I forbid it because my younger son has tics. The doctors don't see this as an issue despite the label warnings that you shouldn't give a child with tics or the child of a relative with tics stimulants.

Anyway, I agree with Chemar, the most critical supplement in my opinion is Omega 3's, Ginko is also good & Magnesium, Zinc & Grape Seed can be beneficial too. I also know with my son sleep is a huge issue, if he sleeps his focus is better, if not he's off in no mans land in school. So, I have been using melatonin as needed. I started him on Source Naturals Attentive Child & saw very minimal results. I am now trying Solaray Focus For Children, along with a quality multi-vitamin, Omega 3's & Cina - we'll see how that goes for the summer.

I am also a huge proponent for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & my son has an IEP at school.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I have ADD myself (never treated) & have been dealing with ADHD for 12 years (my son was diagnosed at 6, but I knew at age 1.5).

Good luck!