ACN Latitudes Forums

Vocal tics and options....

Sunshine,

I, too, am swamped at work yet find myself (as I am doing right now!) sneaking into this site every so often during the day (or very, very late at night!) because it feels like there is a dark, brooding, threatening cloud over my son that I want so desperately to protect him from.... a sense of helplessness that many, many of this site undoubtedly share. I long for the success stories and input from others... it may be illusory, but it makes you feel like you are doing SOMETHING about it.

It is GREAT advice, though, that others have generously given us based on their own experiences... "go slow"..."take care of yourself" .. I now see that if, in fact, this will be a many month-long journey (God willing, it won't be...), then one had better pace oneself. Easier said than done!

Best,

Wewillbeatthis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wewillbeatthis,

I wanted to send you this link, and recommend that you go over the information on the site's where your son's testing was done. This PDF gives the examples and a breif (too breif) explanation of the possible problems associated with the reported values. This is an example of an adult test, and mine says "ranges are for ages 12 and under" so they are not identical, and laid out a little differently, but you may find some clues here to help you know what things to discuss with your Dr. at next appt. for at least this one section of the test. http://www.directlabs.com/PDFfiles/T97dysbiosisSR.pdf

I now realize how many of these labs, send parts of tests out to different labs, so I'm not sure if the original test was ordered through Direct labs, or if your Dr. just ordered straight from Metametrix, but btwn the two sites, you should be able to get an overview of results for different sections of your test. Then you can start researching what the out of range things are for your son, and what is usually done to correct them.

If you read Great Plains site, Pfeiffer (Dr. Walsh) and use your own knowledge of what types of problems your son is most prone to, you will start to be able to form an opinion (or at least be able to discuss possible treatments for your son) and save some time and money, at your appts. You may have a preference for what testing is done, in what order, or supplements you suspect may be helpful/or harmful. It appears that some of the Dr.s that are willing to check things outside of the mainstream protocol, are learning right along with us, and may have limited knowledge as to what labs/ testing are available, and what the results mean, so your "detective work" can be important too. Your Dr. kind of sounds like the one I was taking the boys to; willing to work with me, but not an expert on alternatives, or DAN Dr.

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/russian/test1.html I have found this site to be helpful in the explanation of what's being tested, and why, even if your test wasn't ordered through this lab.

Once again, this was really really helpful to me when I first started trying to piece together, what everyone was talking about. http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/walsh.htm

Hope something here helps.

Kim

• 2 months later...

I have not posted since january. My neuorologist has prescribed me Keppra 1000mg and 4mg of clonzepam.

I would still like to find an alternative to medications but my options are limited, financially. I recently purchased Sheila J. Rogers book, Tics and Tourette's. The only affordable option I have is finding out if I have any food allergies. Unfortunately, many of the foods commonly reported to cause neurological reactions are inexpensive and I purchase my groceries with food stamps.

My current diet consists of:

Cows Milk/Tofu

Yellow Soybeans/Brown Rice/Wheat Germ

Curry Powder/Cayanne Pepper

Peanuts/Flax Seeds

Canola Oil

Banana/Orange

Collard Greens

The "alternative" treatments that work for my symptoms are Power and Olympic weightlifting and bodyweight exercises. My symptoms are vocal/verbal tics and irritability. I am suprised I have not got into a fist fight recently (LOL). Triggers for my tics are situations that cause stress and anxiety. Psychotherapy is not an option because I have seen a dozen therapist over the past decade and therapy is a complete waste of my time. I know more than they do. Even if I did find a therapist my medicare HMO requires a $20 co-pay which I cannot afford. I will try to change my diet. I am not convince that nutritional supplements work for me, but I am still open to suggestions about supps and any other treatments.

lacovcit,

I know NOTHING about TS meds and I have NO medical background, but I did read something with a list of supplements, referring to some studies that have been done (don't know how many, or how reliable) showing that certain supplements may be helpful when taking meds, to ward off Dykenesia. I will see if I saved it anywhere. If you decide to try ANYTHING regarding supplements ESPECIALLY with the use of meds, please be sure to CHECK WITH YOUR PRESCRIBING DR and A PHARMACIST for any interactions or medical conditions that should be considered with supplement use.

This is something you may want to read through.

http://www.autismanswer.com/articles/yasko..._reversing.html

This article is loaded with information on Excitotoxins.

Even with limited resources, I hope you keep searching and learning. I would do the food allergy testing if it's available to you. One more clue, and anything to help keep your meds to the lowest level, I would think would be helpful.

Can you get your reg. Dr. to test your zinc and copper levels for you?

Kim

• 1 month later...

Regarding the problem, I would counsel about natural products like Malabar Nut- if you havent heard about it, it's called VASAKA too,

...yea, it's very effecient as its usefulness is shown while treating bronchitis and bronchial asthma as well. And the leaves have multifarious uses ( for instance for curing diarrhea) and other purposes too. Hope it helps you.