ACN Latitudes Forums

Any recommendations for anxiety meds

Dd was supposed to start summer school this morning since she missed half of last year. The anxiety attack started last night before bed, flared again from 2:30am-4:30am and of course again when it was time to get up. She refused to get out of bed which meant I was unable to hook up her Gtube and give her breakfast. Needless to say she never made it to school.

While she has not returned to 100% of where she was before last November there really isn't any reason why she can't go back to school right now or in the fall.

So-I think its time to try some anxiety meds to help. She is starting to hyperventilate with these attacks. The behavioral therapist has given us tips to calm her down but they aren't working.

I think its time to find an anxiety med to help her when she gets this bad. Has anyone had any luck with anything that hasn't caused PANDAS flares?

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but it might help with overall anxiety. Many individuals with chronic infection have high histamines levels..... Sometimes getting those levels down consistently helps with overall symptoms. We were doing benadryl nightly with the twins and Ketotifen (also a Mast Cell stabilizer) with older DS. It takes about two weeks for the body to adjust. Now we are doing something a little more natural 'D Hist Junior' for the twins. We did nightly benadryl for almost 6 months previously.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=d+hist+jr.&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5366707774604087238&sa=X&ei=qgYbTvntOqPWiALbgP3RBQ&ved=0CDkQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

-Wendy

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but it might help with overall anxiety. Many individuals with chronic infection have high histamines levels..... Sometimes getting those levels down consistently helps with overall symptoms. We were doing benadryl nightly with the twins and Ketotifen (also a Mast Cell stabilizer) with older DS. It takes about two weeks for the body to adjust. Now we are doing something a little more natural 'D Hist Junior' for the twins. We did nightly benadryl for almost 6 months previously.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=d+hist+jr.&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5366707774604087238&sa=X&ei=qgYbTvntOqPWiALbgP3RBQ&ved=0CDkQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

-Wendy

We did Benadryl & Advil two years ago and it worked great. Unfortunately we know now that both actually aggrevate her EE symptoms and she can no longer use them. :( I looked into having the Benadryl compounded but if I remember correctly the Pharmacy couldn't do it.

I checked the D Hist Jr but it has pineapple enzymes so it is out as well.

Whatever I find has to be in liquid form because she has an IgE allergy to pork which translates to gelatin & gel caps-a product found in all pills. <_<

Bummer..... I would also consider Ketotifin if the benadryl and advil helped previously. You would need a prescription and many LLMDs are very versed in its use. Clark's Pharmacy compounds it. Taken from an earlier post of mine on how it helps. Due to anti-inflammatory properties maybe it would also help with EE. See below.

Found this on-line but what came along with our Ketotifen prescription 'the theory' behind how it is helpful.

Intestinal Permeability "Leaky Gut Syndrome":

By Mark Clark, RPh

Functions of Intestinal Mucous Layer (Epithelial Layer):

The mucous layer becomes damaged due to the below causes and exposes mast cells. This triggers release of histamine from mast celss that line the intestinal wall. Histamine triggers a cascade of events that leads to a deep inflammation in the intestinal wall. This causes the intestinal wall to become "leaky" or permeable and large molecules that normally would require further digestion are absorbed through the intestinal wall into the blood stream. This leads to your body's immune system attacking these large molecules and causing an allergic reaction to food. Depending on your genetic make-up, this can lead to asthma, rheumatiod arthritis, eczema, psorasis, possibly other immune disorders and cortisol/adrenal issues due to massive inflammation of the intestinal wall.

Causes of Damaged Intestinal Mucous Layer (Epithelial Layer):

1. Gluten Intolerance

2. Chronic stress - Stimulates cortisone from the adrenals which destroys the mucous layer.

3. Steroids - e.g. prednisone and cortisone.

4. alcoholism.

5. Certain antibiotics.

6. Parasites/dysbiosis of the GI tract.

7. Chronic use of nonsteroidals.

Summary of Events Leading to "Leaky Gut Syndrome":

Above causes leads to damaged intestinal mucous layer leads to increase in mast cell exposure leads to histamine release leads to inflammation of intestinal cells leads to leaky gut and adrenal stimulation leads to immune system attacking large molecules.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11095&pid=93742&start=&st=#entry93742

Dd was supposed to start summer school this morning since she missed half of last year. The anxiety attack started last night before bed, flared again from 2:30am-4:30am and of course again when it was time to get up. She refused to get out of bed which meant I was unable to hook up her Gtube and give her breakfast. Needless to say she never made it to school.

While she has not returned to 100% of where she was before last November there really isn't any reason why she can't go back to school right now or in the fall.

So-I think its time to try some anxiety meds to help. She is starting to hyperventilate with these attacks. The behavioral therapist has given us tips to calm her down but they aren't working.

I think its time to find an anxiety med to help her when she gets this bad. Has anyone had any luck with anything that hasn't caused PANDAS flares?

GABA from Thorne has worked for my daughter in the past. It had to be Thorne brand becuase theirs is a natural GABA which worked pretty well. By contrast, the cheaper GABA from the health food store seemed to make her anxiety worse (and it definately made mine worse). I was giving her 250mg caps twice daily. They use veggi caps.

http://www.thorne.com/Products/Mood-Sleep-Support/prd~SP652.jsp