ACN Latitudes Forums

Pediatrician or Pandas Doctor in Massachusetts?

We have been working with our pediatrician for a couple of months now and are realizing that he may not be the best fit for our situation. He is aware of PANDAS but hasn't ever treated a patient with it. His reccomendation is treat the strep when it happens and all symptoms will go away. Has anyone found a doc that is a bit more knowledgeable in the state? As for other doctors ( neurology etc.) I am having a hard time fidning someone that takes new patients that has been reccomeneded by other PANDAS families. Thanks for any help you can give.

I'm in Salem, MA and travel to CT to see Dr. B.

I know another parent has a pediatricain who has been helpful in Wilmington or Winchester, but is still not an expert.

Can't seem to find anyone in Boston...

Where are you located? You can PM me if you don't want to post.

Kara

Dr. Gellar at Mass General is apparently one of the pioneers in treating PANDAS, as per Beth's book "Saving Sammy". I do not know anything more about him. Here is what I have for Mass. If they can't take you, perhaps they can point you in the right direction. Good luck and positive thoughts to you and your family!

MASSACHUSETTS

Dr. Daniel Geller

Director, Pediatric OCD Program

Massachusetts General Hospital

Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Yawkey 6A

55 Fruit Street

Boston, Massachusetts 02114

(617) 724-6300 x133-1056

(617) 503-1436

Peggy Chapman (Psychiatric Nurse)

62 Derby Street #11

Hingham, MA 02043

Edited by Sheila Rogers
A physican's name was removed, as she said she does not treat PANDAS.

PS: It may be worth it to see Dr. B in CT. We are traveling there from NC later this month for our 1st appt. because he is so highly recommended. Some docs seem reluctant to treat PANDAS aggressively and although caution is important in dealing with our kids, sometimes there is just no time to lose!! Take care, Kath

We are in MA (North Shore) and also travel to CT to see Dr. B. We saw the so-called "PANDAS expert" at Children's in Boston and it was useless. We have our pediatrician locally for regular stuff, but see Dr. B for PANDAS stuff. We traveled there for an initial appointment, paid for a phone consultation follow-up and then traveled there for 3 IVIG treatments.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need any more info.

We're also North of Boston and we have seen quite a few doctors for PANDAS. Don't bother with Children's or MGH. If you need more info just PM me. Recommend Dr. B in CT. We also see a great DAN doctor in upstate NY who treats DD's PANDAS/Lyme/Bartonella.