ACN Latitudes Forums

Question about vaccine shedding

Question about vaccine shedding.  Had a play date today with 2 brothers & 1 had gotten a varicella/chicken pox vaccine last week.  I know it sheds.  Anybody know how long shedding lasts & what threat it poses to PANDAS kids? Seems I remember reading that FluMist can shed for up to 30 days.  EEK!  Do all virus vaccines shed that long?  It just came out in conversation with the mom or otherwise I'd not have known. We are probably in contact with vaccine shedding folks, but ignorance is bliss.  Right now we're seeing some random effects of what we think are seasonal allergies. (They started at the same time we got a new "hypoallergenic" dog, but I don't think it's the dog since hubby's not reacting & he is allergic.). Otherwise things are still going pretty well, but I'll deny saying that if you ask me (already knocking on wood!).  Guess I'll be watching for signs of exposure now tho'.

Let me also add that we had our dog fixed today, & they gave Bordetella, Lyme, & Leptospirosis vaccines (didn't really know they were doing those...gets boosters for all of those again in 2 weeks when the stitches come out). Plus, what we thought was razor burn on his belly from the groomer they said was a staph infection. Ack! So upside, dog will be on Keflex. Downside, this Mommy needs a drink (or that might be another upside). Pets are good things. Pets are good things. Pets are good things. Pretend I repeated that 1,000 more times. And believe me that my hubby is SO GLAD that getting the dog was my idea. Whew!

LOL! Thank you, I really needed a laugh today. That was a good one.

My kids are begging me for a pet: yeah, no way, not for awhile, shall we say.

Anyway, on the vaccine shedding: I don't know the right answer, but I do think it's something we can avoid really-

I remember last year in Kindergarten all the Mom's were getting their kids the flu mist- yikes, I think that sheds for 30 days. I hated it, and cringed inside, but there was nothing I could do about it.

I hope it means nothing (and my dd6 never got the flu last year.)

SarahJane,

Have you had that drink yet? If not, you may want to before I lay this on you :)

In my opinion, for the vet to vaccinate an animal that has an active infection, right before undergoing surgery, place on antibiotics (beneficial flora in a dog will be killed off just like a human) and revaccinate is almost criminal. Please educate yourself regarding your pets vaccines, as you would a child. If there is an adverse reaction, your pet will suffer and you're on the hook for the $$$ to try to fix it. If you decide to go ahead, ask the vet to at least use a little common sense, like waiting until the pet is not stressed from surgery, is not battling an infection and is not on antibiotics.

I had this argument with a vet once and you know her response? "You're right." I almost fell on the floor. I have often wondered if she changed the way she did anything. I doubt it, but the more of us who point out the obvious, the better our chances.

This is an article that I pulled up quickly that does mention the vaccines that your dog was given

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Revax.htm

FluMist and Varicella vaccines are live attenuated viruses. I read that FluMist can shed for 21 days. I would assume the same for varicella. There is nothing you can do about your child being around kids w/ shedding live virus vaxes, unfortunately.

SarahJane,

Have you had that drink yet? If not, you may want to before I lay this on you :)

In my opinion, for the vet to vaccinate an animal that has an active infection, right before undergoing surgery, place on antibiotics (beneficial flora in a dog will be killed off just like a human) and revaccinate is almost criminal. Please educate yourself regarding your pets vaccines, as you would a child. If there is an adverse reaction, your pet will suffer and you're on the hook for the $$$ to try to fix it. If you decide to go ahead, ask the vet to at least use a little common sense, like waiting until the pet is not stressed from surgery, is not battling an infection and is not on antibiotics.

I had this argument with a vet once and you know her response? "You're right." I almost fell on the floor. I have often wondered if she changed the way she did anything. I doubt it, but the more of us who point out the obvious, the better our chances.

This is an article that I pulled up quickly that does mention the vaccines that your dog was given

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Revax.htm

Hey Kim...these were 1st shots vs. a revaccination (7 month old puppy we just got that was behind on shots). I had read a little bit (since I'm vaccine averse now), and I just thought since my dh didn't say anything about doing the shots that they wouldn't do them. Now I know better for what good that does me. And if I don't do the boosters in 2-3 weeks, they're not going to be valid. So far, the dog is doing well, but then it takes time to know they aren't :angry: In the stuff I've read, it seems that vets are more savvy to effects of vaxes on pets than MDs are on people. I may shop for another vet too. We'd gone over PANDAS with him a few weeks ago & gave him info & he seemed to get it...guess not.

And so far my ds is doing okay too. So that's good news. And I didn't open the bottle the other night...will save it for the next crisis. ;)