ACN Latitudes Forums

Olive Leaf Extract

I thought I read posts on this before, but the search doesn't want to work for me tonight. Has anyone used this & seen results? Also, how much do you typically give? My son is almost 6 & on the skinny side.

I read you shouldn't take it with antibiotics, but my DS just came off of them & I thought this might be a good interim supplement.

Thanks!

Many swear by it. I tried it with my boys and it did offer relief for a good 3 months, at which point we had to do a round of antibiotics. At that point I probably should have put them back on it (after abx was done) but I didn't. A couple months later we pursued homeopathy instead (with more lasting success).

The dosage we used: 500mg, 3x/day (20% oleuropins), away from probiotics. I believe some websites claim that OLE will not affect probiotics but I didn't trust that claim.

Expect some possible die-off (herx) reaction for the first few days. You could start low and titrate up.

We did feel OLE helped. It didn't solve our issues, but it did help with keeping his gut under control. Actually, the supplement we found worked best was inositol/IP6. Ultimately, we needed IVIG to solve our issues. We are three months out and the peace in our house is so wonderful!

I thought I read posts on this before, but the search doesn't want to work for me tonight. Has anyone used this & seen results? Also, how much do you typically give? My son is almost 6 & on the skinny side.

I read you shouldn't take it with antibiotics, but my DS just came off of them & I thought this might be a good interim supplement.

Thanks!

Why should you not take it with abx? I've been giving my daughter a yeast-aid product that is mostly olive leaf extract and she is on zith as well. The last 3-4 months we have been having mega-problems with stiffness and swelling in her hands and wrists (a lot worse just before her period). We have not been able too figure out what is causing this, so now I'm wondering if this can be it?

Why should you not take it with abx? I've been giving my daughter a yeast-aid product that is mostly olive leaf extract and she is on zith as well. The last 3-4 months we have been having mega-problems with stiffness and swelling in her hands and wrists (a lot worse just before her period). We have not been able too figure out what is causing this, so now I'm wondering if this can be it?

I've read that olive leaf should not be dosed simultaneous with antibiotics because they might negate one another's effectiveness.

I had thought that olive leaf is intended to be a "natural antibiotic," so while our DS is still taking Augmentin, DH and I have been taking olive leaf once per day as our own version of a prophylactic antibiotic, to try and keep the germs away from the house. It's supposedly an antiviral, also, so hopefully it's going to beneficial in many respects.

Thanks for the replies. I am staring DS on it very slowly since he is now off ABX. We'll see what happens.

I read, as said above, that OLE shouldn't be taken in conjunction with ABX because it can greatly reduce the effectiveness of the antibiotic. However, I didn't know about the probiotics, I am still giving DS cultured coconut milk, so I hope that isn't an issue.