ACN Latitudes Forums

Sibling issues... causes flares in PANDAS child

Im at my witts end trying to figure this out. My 6 year old son has PANDAS and is on continuous antibiotics. I have a 3 year old son who a few months ago had a few weeks of unexplaned middle of the night only vomiting followed by loose stools during the day. During this time my PANDAS child was in a major flare mode. Finally took my youngest to the drs when we noticed his throat was swollen and the fast strep test came out barely positive and we had out whole family treated with antibiotics. Both kids got better. A few weeks later same thing happened..my youngest had unexplanable night vomiting for days with loose stools during the day. Took him back to the ped, they found nothing, strep came back fine. No other symptoms once again and was acting completely fine the rest of the time. But again, my PANDAS child was off the wall once again..we explained to the ped about PANDAS and my other son so due to this he placed my youngest on antibiotics anyway just incase. Sure enough..both kids got better. Now for the third time..my PANDAS child is off the wall once again and my youngest started the loose stools 3 days ago and the vomiting last night. Took him to the ped again, this time irritated, and they cant find anything wrong.. throat looks fine, no symptoms not even a runny nose. He is developing fine, no abnormal behavior to make me think PANDAS, no skin rashes or any other issues to think food intolerance (though he is on restricted diet with my other child, no dairy, beef peanut, egg, etc). The ped mentioned maybe my other son is kickign something out with the antibiotics which is making my youngest sick. But if he is so typical then why isnt it showing up? Does anyone have any problems with sibling illnesses?

Other then chronic ear infections as a baby/toddler, we have had no developmental issues/behavior issues/tics/ocd or anything abnormal with my youngest.

Thanks

Tina

I did want to add one thing. When my youngest had his first occurance with the vomiting (the time he testing slightly positive for strep), a few weeks prior he suddenly started wetting the bed... after antibiotics he stopped wetting the bed and still is doing good with that even with the two other periods of vomiting..... Im just so baffled on whats going on.

Hi Tina,

Did your ped ever send the swab to the lab to confirm. I have found that that my son has tested negative on rapid yet was positive through lab culture. You might want todo some blood work on your son to confirm present or recent exposure to strep. You should ask for aso, antidnase b, streptozyme. While your at it you can test for mycoplasma igg and igm.

I wish u luck!

We had a similar issue. Perhaps it is your younger child getting sick first (but symptoms don't show up till later) and it affects your PANDAS child. When my son's PANDAS was very bad, he'd have flare-ups just being in the same classroom as a sick kid. And because the sore throat doesn't show up until a few days after the kid is infectious, it was nearly impossible to keep him from being exposed. Antibiotics helped at that point, but didn't keep the flare-ups under control. Only IVIG, a wonder drug in our family, solved the issue. We had some rough times after the IVIG but now, three months later, he's doing the best he's ever been.