ACN Latitudes Forums

Klonidine or Clonazapem for Tics?

I am at a loss as to what to do next for my son. He is 10 and his tics are muscle contractions mostly, and they hurt after a while. We have tried Tenex without any success. I suggested to the Nuero that maybe something for anxiety might be better. It runs in our family, and my son is very anxious. So he gave us a prescription for Clonazepem, which is actually what I take, when needed. I don't take it often, but when I do, it helps me a lot. But, I am so nervous to give it to my son, because I am very concerned about side effects, etc. I am going to call my Pediatrician today for a 2nd opinion on the meds. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this medication for a child.

Thanks

I am at a loss as to what to do next for my son. He is 10 and his tics are muscle contractions mostly, and they hurt after a while. We have tried Tenex without any success. I suggested to the Nuero that maybe something for anxiety might be better. It runs in our family, and my son is very anxious. So he gave us a prescription for Clonazepem, which is actually what I take, when needed. I don't take it often, but when I do, it helps me a lot. But, I am so nervous to give it to my son, because I am very concerned about side effects, etc. I am going to call my Pediatrician today for a 2nd opinion on the meds. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this medication for a child.

Thanks

My DS11 has taken 0.25-0.5 mg Klonopin nightly since he was 10. I have not noted any adverse side effects. It was prescribed by son's Peds. My son's neurologist was concerned it could cause working memory problems if taken long term. However, another opinion neuro liked the med and said he used it often and had good results with med in the kids he treated. I would not be nervous about giving it. If you tolerate it well...he likely will, as well. That's our experience.

So you're asking about Klonidine (Clonidine) or Clonazapem (Clonazepam, trade name Klonopin).

Clonidine is a blood pressure medicine that is very similar to Tenex. It has the most mild side-effects of all the medications used for tics.

Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine which is known to have some potentially severe withdrawal effects (google "benzo withdrawal"). Benzos are anti-anxiety medications, and I believe it is the only benzo that is indicated for tics, and seems to have some effect in some instances "...since some of the premonitory sensations resemble obsessions and the tics may be viewed as 'compulsive' movements..."

Here is a list of all known medications that have been used to treat tics, how they work, and notes about whether or not they were successful (most were not):

http://www.tourettestreatment.com/list-of-treatments.php

You will notice that the majority of treatments were either ineffective or carry dangerous side effects. There seem to be only 4 safe choices:

- Clonidine

- Tenex

- Topamax

- Cannabis (either smoked or in the prescription pill form, Marinol)

Of course, every person's chemistry is different and what works for one person may not work for another. Discuss all of this with your doctor and always start with a lower dose rather than a bigger dose because the goal is to find the smallest effective dose.

Edited by guy123

Sorry - it was supposed to be Klonopin. Was getting confused with all my research. He has tried Tenex and it was not helpful at all and made him very irritable. I spoke to my Pediatrician and he feels that the Clonazepem is safe and should only make him tired. I may introduce it slowly at night to see if it helps. I don't think I will ever go up to twice a day, I still feel nervous about that until I know how he will react to it. I am also on the same medication and it does make me tired, but works amazingly for my anxiety. I think a lot of my son's tics are anxiety related. I don't know - I hope I am not grasping at straws. He is also seeing a social worker for some therapy sessions and they really seem to be helping with some of his OCD. He is such a great kid, and I hate seeing him suffer like this, I just want him to have some relief.

My husband had a horrible and long lasting psychotic reaction to clonidine so please don't just accept that it is a "safe" option!!!

ALL of those drugs have the potential to have severe side effects.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was 100% safe, just that, on average, its side effects tend to be less than, say, neuroleptics.

Chemar, what treatment if any did you husband go with after trying Clonidine?

My husband had a horrible and long lasting psychotic reaction to clonidine so please don't just accept that it is a "safe" option!!!

ALL of those drugs have the potential to have severe side effects.

Clonidine is not Klonopin. As Guy123 said. Clonidine is a BP med similar to Tenex. Klonopin (generic Clonazepam) is a benzo. Low dose benzos can be very effective for anxiety/tics and the risk of benzo withdrawal is easily averted by a slow wean once and if you decide to take person off of them. No different from many other meds that must be weaned. No medication is without risks or side effects. If carefully monitored and being suggested by child's MD...it is certainly worth a trial to note response. Every person is different. Many people have safely taken Klonopin without long lasting psychotic reaction. My son has never had any issues with the medication and it does help him with his anxiety. We only give it at night...it never seemed to make him overly tired. He sleeps well but not too much or more than a child his age should. He slept well before the medication, also. Can build up a tolerance and require more and more medication for same response but that has never been an issue for us, either. Same dosage for a year and he seems fine with it. No need to increase.

Thanks for all the responses. I have taken it for a couple of years with no adverse reaction. I think this is part of the reason the doctor prescribed it. I know everyone can react differently, so hopefully, my son will be OK with it. I gave him 1/2 pill last night and he did sleep well. I plan on increasing it slowly to one whole pill each night. The doctor wants him to take 2 each day, but I am not sure I will do that. I want to see if it does help his tics and anxiety. I have to say, it has been a lifesaver for me when I need it. I think every medication has its downsides and I feel more comfortable now than I did before in my decision.

911RN, just an FYI that I specifically mentioned CLONIDINE as guy had stated in his post that it was "safe"....and so I was pointing out that it is not necessarily "safe" for everyone, based on our personal experience with my husband who has TS

I have no personal experience with klonopin, so no comment on that, and I did not in any way suggest that clonidine and klonopin are the same??