ACN Latitudes Forums

Testing for Bartonella

Hi-

If I want to JUST test for Bartonella....what is the best test?

Should I call Igenex and ask them?

I am sure I can get our DAN! Dr. to sign off on it- not ready for LLMD and all that...our DAN! is our treating pandas Dr. No, I am sure he is not proficient in Lyme-- just looking for the Bartonella test to get it out of my mind- and of course, the pandas (or at least how ours presents) is similar to Bartonella.

Thank you--

We tested for lyme with Igenex but used Specialty Labs (now a division of Quest, I think) for bartonella. Specialty accepts insurance and our LLMD didn't think babesia or erlichiosis was part of our picture, so no need to do a full blown co-infection panel with Igenex for $$$. My son had an asymmetrical swollen gland (only on the left side of his neck) for two years - no doctor could figure out why. Turns out to be a very classic bartonella symptom.

Thank you-- I bookmarked Quest, and will call them tomorrow for more info. there is a Q. lab fairly nearby, too.

Sure wish I could do it without a Dr. signature, though...that will be my hold up.

Thanks again!

Check with Quest and make sure they'll send the sample to Specialty Labs. I don't think you can any 'ol quest lab - but our LLMD sent the sample out. We did the draw in his office. So not really sure how it all works.

If you go to http://www.privatemdlabs.com they have a bartonella test you can order without an MD presciption.

However, we did the Igenex route and they offered bartonella tests that don't seem to be available elsewhere -- the Bartonella FISH test. See this link for their sample form -- go to the bottom to get the single disease tests. Everyone should consider using their form from the website instead of ones the doctors have, because they added new tests and if the doctor hasn't downloaded a form recently they won't have the latest choices.

http://igenex.com/files/PATIENT_TEST_REQUEST_FORM.pdf

Check with Quest and make sure they'll send the sample to Specialty Labs. I don't think you can any 'ol quest lab - but our LLMD sent the sample out. We did the draw in his office. So not really sure how it all works.

Thank you for the private med labs---

I ordered a western blot, and the bartonella antibody test- I know these aren't the best of the best tests, but I just want a look at what I can--we don't have tick history, no pets, my dd has been sheltered, (and I know that doesn't mean much to some w/lyme - same history/surprise)

but I was able to get these tests rather cheap, no Dr. signature, and can go up to my local Labcorp.

Thank you!

You're welcome. Good luck with it. I believe there are a couple of places like this site, where you can get tests w/o a rx. This is the one I plan on using, but I think there are others, if you search.

Thank you for the private med labs---

I ordered a western blot, and the bartonella antibody test- I know these aren't the best of the best tests, but I just want a look at what I can--we don't have tick history, no pets, my dd has been sheltered, (and I know that doesn't mean much to some w/lyme - same history/surprise)

but I was able to get these tests rather cheap, no Dr. signature, and can go up to my local Labcorp.

Thank you!

Keep in mind, though, that many times the diagnosis has to be made by a clinical picture. LLMD noted the swollen gland. We had stretch marks that finally started going away with IV abx (these type of stretch marks are actually a classic bartonella rash,) and although we never even thought of erlich, that actually came back positive on the Igenex test (turns out his severe back pain, and chronic nausea are actually symptoms.) We also had clinical symptoms of babesia. So, the testing really is just for additional information. It is frequently inaccurate, and needs a clinical dx.