ACN Latitudes Forums

CD 57

Does anyone know if the CD57 panel from quest is the right panel to use for Lyme? I thought it needed to be the CD 57 NK test, offered by Labcorp and Igenex. Is that what Quest does as well?

Thanks.

It used to be that Quest did not do the CD57. Recently (maybe 3-5 months ago?) they started doing it. Since then, on another lyme message board that gets a lot more traffic than this one, I have seen maybe 5 or so posts of people saying they had got it from Quest, posting the results, and hoping for people to interpret from the results what the score is. No, they weren't asking for advice on what the score means, they were saying, "this is what the paper says, which of these numbers is my score". I haven't seen anyone confidently answer that question for any of these people, so, until that gets figured out, I would strongly recommend staying away from Quest. While an equivalent score might be in there somewhere, I personally don't have real confidence that it is. Even though IGeneX may be more dedicated toward lyme, I still think LabCorp is the way to go, because all the history of "this score predicts that" and so on is based on LabCorp scores.

Yes, it was already done and it is very confusing. There are lots of numbers and ratios.

I found these two articles that make me think it's either the CD57+/3- number or the CD57+/CD8+ number that represents the CD57 Natural Killer cells that are important for Lyme monitoring.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772377/

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/strickerpanel.html

I was hoping someone here might know more.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if the CD57 panel from quest is the right panel to use for Lyme? I thought it needed to be the CD 57 NK test, offered by Labcorp and Igenex. Is that what Quest does as well?

Thanks.

It used to be that Quest did not do the CD57. Recently (maybe 3-5 months ago?) they started doing it. Since then, on another lyme message board that gets a lot more traffic than this one, I have seen maybe 5 or so posts of people saying they had got it from Quest, posting the results, and hoping for people to interpret from the results what the score is. No, they weren't asking for advice on what the score means, they were saying, "this is what the paper says, which of these numbers is my score". I haven't seen anyone confidently answer that question for any of these people, so, until that gets figured out, I would strongly recommend staying away from Quest. While an equivalent score might be in there somewhere, I personally don't have real confidence that it is. Even though IGeneX may be more dedicated toward lyme, I still think LabCorp is the way to go, because all the history of "this score predicts that" and so on is based on LabCorp scores.

Michael --

I called Igenex today and if I understood them correctly, their test corresponds to Quest's CD57+/3- value, which is what I suspected even before I called them. So, if you are active on those other boards, you can float that information out there as a strong hypothesis.

Yes, it was already done and it is very confusing. There are lots of numbers and ratios.

I found these two articles that make me think it's either the CD57+/3- number or the CD57+/CD8+ number that represents the CD57 Natural Killer cells that are important for Lyme monitoring.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772377/

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/strickerpanel.html

I was hoping someone here might know more.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I am no expert here but our llmd only uses quest or igenex for the cd 57. we had a pos igenex and a cd 57 from quest at 28! After my results I started looking more into the cd 57 and saw alot of recommendations for labcorp but there was 2 problems with that. My dr doesn't use them, and I had already recieved a result consistent with lyme from quest. I decided to stick with quest. We repeated the cd 57 with quest about 6 weeks ago and the increase to 40 strongly correllates with my dd's improvement! I think it is wise to stick with the same lab whichever you choose to measure your progress, so difference in lab procedure doesn't become another variable. It makes it easier to see if clinical progress is reflected in the lab values.

Priscilla, what specific line on the quest lab results did you look at? Was it the CD57+/3- also? My son's test was ran through Quest and his LLMD said he couldn't interpret. So frustrating b.c. the first time the lab didn't even run the test, so had to go back, specifically on request said to run through Labcorp. When I got the results and it said through Quest, I called the lab and they said, oh, now Labcorp has been bought out by the same company that owns specialty labs and Quest, so, everything is now run through Quest. I have no idea if this is true or the lady was just saying this to get me off the phone.

Thanks,

Laura

If you look at the first paragraph in this link, they refer to the NK cells (the ones we are interested in) as CD57/CD8 subset. http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/strickerpanel.html

However, if you look at this link (an article by the scientists who discovered it, plus a refutation by other scientists) they refer to the CD57+/CD3- cells as the NK cells. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772377/

My DS10 has CD57 results from both Igenex and from Quest, run about 6 weeks apart. Igenex reports them just as NK cells and his number was in the low 40s. Of all the Quest results, the only number that was close to that was the CD57/CD3- number (high 30s). So,I called Igenex and asked them what their number corresponded to. The person I talked to didn't seem to actually know, but she read from her information sheet, and it said it wsa the CD 57 cells without the CD3 marker (gotta assume that's the same as CD57+/CD3-). I asked about the CD8, but it wasn't on her sheet and she suggested that I call back on Tuesday and talk to their MD/scientist.

I may do that, or I may wait and ask my son's doctor to call Quest and confirm which line on the test is the one of interes. In my own mind, I'm pretty convinced it is the CD57+/CD3- result, based on the Stricker article, the info from Igenex, and the correspondence betweem the numbers on the tests run by my son on the Quest lab and the Igenex lab.

Priscilla, what specific line on the quest lab results did you look at? Was it the CD57+/3- also? My son's test was ran through Quest and his LLMD said he couldn't interpret. So frustrating b.c. the first time the lab didn't even run the test, so had to go back, specifically on request said to run through Labcorp. When I got the results and it said through Quest, I called the lab and they said, oh, now Labcorp has been bought out by the same company that owns specialty labs and Quest, so, everything is now run through Quest. I have no idea if this is true or the lady was just saying this to get me off the phone.

Thanks,

Laura

Thanks,

Laura

Looking at our last labs the result seems to repeat itself- the most recent is 40 listed under:

CD 57+

CD 57+/CD 3+

CD 57+/ CD 3+/ CD 8+

CD 57+/ CD 3+/ CD 8+

The 40 is listed under each of these. We use the Quest in San Juan Capistrano which I think is the first Quest to perform the CD 57 specific for Lyme- I had thought it was the only Quest to do it, but who knows. I have even heard it is not reliable for children. I have just decided to measure it to see if it corellates with her progress which so far it has. Hope that helps:)