ACN Latitudes Forums

Reverse T3.. Now I'm not sure what I'm dealing with!

So, my LLMD called a couple weeks ago to inform me that my childs reverse T3 were elevated and he ordered Selenium. I looked it up and did not really find muchh that popped out at me. But then today, I started researching all kinds of things ~ anything tht might possibly connect to my daughter.

Then I come upon this page and now I'm wondering if most all her symptoms are simply comming from this and if I should be looking for a thyroid doctor instead?!

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/

this is the paragraph that stopped me in my tracks:

When biological stress is ongoing, your adrenals will eventually become fatigued, dropping from high cortisol to a mix of high and low, or all low, and those low levels put you into the problematic state of adrenal fatigue, which causes chronic anxiety poor coping skills, paranoia, easy nausea, sensitivity to light or sounds, psychological issues, etc. When you don’t make enough cortisol, thyroid hormones can pool high in your blood. So your body responds by converting the T4 to excess RT3.

Anyone elses kid dealing with this?

interesting...yes, our MD put my DD on thyroid medication a few weeks ago. Hopefully only briefly. From what I understand it's a bigger problem if T4 does not convert to T3.

So, my LLMD called a couple weeks ago to inform me that my childs reverse T3 were elevated and he ordered Selenium. I looked it up and did not really find muchh that popped out at me. But then today, I started researching all kinds of things ~ anything tht might possibly connect to my daughter.

Then I come upon this page and now I'm wondering if most all her symptoms are simply comming from this and if I should be looking for a thyroid doctor instead?!

When biological stress is ongoing, your adrenals will eventually become fatigued, dropping from high cortisol to a mix of high and low, or all low, and those low levels put you into the problematic state of adrenal fatigue, which causes chronic anxiety poor coping skills, paranoia, easy nausea, sensitivity to light or sounds, psychological issues, etc. When you don’t make enough cortisol, thyroid hormones can pool high in your blood. So your body responds by converting the T4 to excess RT3.

And now you have me thinking...could her increased anxiety over the last few weeks be because of the thyroid medication and not herxing? Her T3 was low.

interesting...yes, our MD put my DD on thyroid medication a few weeks ago. Hopefully only briefly. From what I understand it's a bigger problem if T4 does not convert to T3.

And now you have me thinking...could her increased anxiety over the last few weeks be because of the thyroid medication and not herxing? Her T3 was low.

But If I was reading this right, if the RT3 is elevated that in itself could cause the high anxiety & other psychological problems. Would'nt meds change that? Or does your daughter have low RT3? Sorry, just confused at the moment...

Yes, T3 was low. I'm wondering if the medication caused it to rise and as a result increased anxiety. Will test T3/T4 again next week. Curious to see what the levels are.

But If I was reading this right, if the RT3 is elevated that in itself could cause the high anxiety & other psychological problems. Would'nt meds change that? Or does your daughter have low RT3? Sorry, just confused at the moment...

• 2 weeks later...

I took DD off Levoxyl last week (sorry, I reported low T3 but it's actually low T4 -- it's my T3 that's low) and sure enough, it was the medication that increased her anxiety in the past two months and not herxing. We tested her levels again before stopping it and T4 was still low but I had to take her off it anyway.

I am not an expert in this, but I read a forum where this comes up a lot, and the moderators are experts in this, and here is their train of thought:

The T3 'should' be in the upper 1/3 range- if it is not, they recommend treating the adrenals (before starting to treat the thyroid.)

They recommend treating with Adrenal Cortex, not the 'whole' adrenal, example a supplement like

Thorne Adrenal Cortex

which is only Adrenal Cortex Bovine 50 mg.

This information comes from a frequent, low dose chelation board, and the stress of this detox stresses the adrenals, so they recommend supporting them with a supplement like this, or something similar.

It is recommended to give in the morning and/or afternoon.

Edited by S & S

Interesting...I will look into this. We have both been taking Adrenal Companion for a while -- a "concentrated adaptogenic herbal remedy featuring extracts of cordyceps, rhodiola and panax ginseng.  All designed to support the stress response, with the addition of select B vitamins involved in adrenal hormone production."

I am not an expert in this, but I read a forum where this comes up a lot, and the moderators are experts in this, and here is their train of thought:

The T3 'should' be in the upper 1/3 range- if it is not, they recommend treating the adrenals (before starting to treat the thyroid.)

They recommend treating with Adrenal Cortex, not the 'whole' adrenal, example a supplement like

Thorne Adrenal Cortex

which is only Adrenal Cortex Bovine 50 mg.

This information comes from a frequent, low dose chelation board, and the stress of this detox stresses the adrenals, so they recommend supporting them with a supplement like this, or something similar.

It is recommended to give in the morning and/or afternoon.