ACN Latitudes Forums

Eye Blinking and Head Jerking

Please - anyone that can help my grandson, age 12. He has 2 tics - Head jerking and now, eye blinking.

Is there any treatment available right mow?

Is there any medicine that he can take?

What about herbal treatments? Vitamins? Rub downs?

PLEASE - someone help me to help him.

Thank you all very much. God bless you.

Hi, welcome !

Sorry to hear about your grandson! How long has your grandson been having tics? Has he done any exam or lab test? There is a lot of information on the board. I suggest you taking some time to read posts here. Some people found out the following may be triggers or contributors to tics, such as TV/electronic games, food allergies, heavy metal toxicity, yeast problem, nutrition imbalance, etc. The easy things you may want to try first:

1). Avoid TV/e-games for a week to see if his tics will be improved

2). Avoid artificial colors, flavors from food that he eats

Meanwhile, you may want to find if there is a DAN doctor in your area (search from the top thread on this board). If it’s possible, heavy metal, organic acid test may help you to find out if your grandson has heavy metal or yeast problem.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions. People on this board are nice, and willing to share!

Good luck!

Dr. Berger is in Tampa. He is considered one of the best DAN doctors out there. I have his phone number at home. He relocated there around six months ago from the Miami area.

Hi Patricia,

In addition to the other things already suggested I would suggest trying to get him a professional massage. I'm 20 with ts and had the head jerking that went from very intense head shaking every couple seconds as young as 5 years old to head jerking as I got older. About 2 years ago when I moved to a city I started getting theraputic massages on my back, shoulders, and neck. I usually got one every month, when my back and neck started getting sore. The massage therapist said I was as hard as a rock as far as knots I had in my back, shoulders, and neck.

As I continued to get these massages I noticed that the head jerking went away and stayed away as long as I kept up on the massages. I very occasionally got a head jerk for a short time when I picked up the tic from someone else with tics or when I got really excited. I also receive acupuncture with Chinese cupping and the cupping has been so good for my back. Even though I managed to get rid of the head jerking tics I was still really tight. After 4 times of cupping I went back to my massage therapist and he asked me what I did because I'm not hard as a rock anymore and my tics were much better. I told him I'd been having cupping done. Now I've been starting to get full body massages since my back is in pretty good shape.

I would suggest trying alternative therapies before starting medications. I've been med free for probably about 2 months and doing very well. Its my first time being med free for 15 years. If theres one thing I had control over and would have done differently 15 years ago it would be not trying medications. I was put on a number of things ranging from clonidine to haldol, with botox suggested at 7 years old. I had very severe ts. Diet, vitamins, amino acids test results were all ignored. When I was 13 I was researching the internet and found Bonnie's vitamin program and brought it to my parent and asked if we could try it. The vitamins changed my severe ts to being moderate ts. Its now between mild and moderate, closer to the mild side.

Carolyn

Hi, welcome !

Sorry to hear about your grandson!  How long has your grandson been having tics? Has he done any exam or lab test? There is a lot of information on the board. I suggest you taking some time to read posts here.  Some people found out the following may be triggers or contributors to tics, such as TV/electronic games, food allergies, heavy metal toxicity, yeast problem, nutrition imbalance, etc.  The easy things you may want to try first:

1). Avoid TV/e-games for a week to see if his tics will be improved

2). Avoid artificial colors, flavors from food that he eats

Meanwhile, you may want to find if there is a DAN doctor in your area (search from the top thread on this board). If it’s possible, heavy metal, organic acid test may help you to find out if your grandson has heavy metal or yeast problem.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions. People on this board are nice, and willing to share! thanks for the information. Wha a nice person you are . I live in tampa. 813-926-7537  email nursepatti1@aol.com

Good luck!

9288[/snapback]

Hi Patricia,

In addition to the other things already suggested I would suggest trying to get him a professional massage.  I'm 20 with ts and had the head jerking that went from very intense head shaking every couple seconds as young as 5 years old to head jerking as I got older.  About 2 years ago when I moved to a city I started getting theraputic massages on my back, shoulders, and neck.  I usually got one every month, when my back and neck started getting sore.  The massage therapist said I was as hard as a rock as far as knots I had in my back, shoulders, and neck. 

As I continued to get these massages I noticed that the head jerking went away and stayed away as long as I kept up on the massages.  I very occasionally got a head jerk for a short time when I picked up the tic from someone else with tics or when I got really excited.  I also receive acupuncture with Chinese cupping and the cupping has been so good for my back.  Even though I managed to get rid of the head jerking tics I was still really tight.  After 4 times of cupping I went back to my massage therapist and he asked me what I did because I'm not hard as a rock anymore and my tics were much better.  I told him I'd been having cupping done.  Now I've been starting to get full body massages since my back is in pretty good shape.

I would suggest trying alternative therapies before starting medications.  I've been med free for probably about 2 months and doing very well.  Its my first time being med free for 15 years.  If theres one thing I had control over and would have done differently 15 years ago it would be not trying medications.  I was put on a number of things ranging from clonidine to haldol, with botox suggested at 7 years old.  I had very severe ts.  Diet, vitamins, amino acids test results were all ignored.  When I was 13 I was researching the internet and found Bonnie's vitamin program and brought it to my parent and asked if we could try it.  The vitamins changed my severe ts to being moderate ts.  Its now between mild and moderate, closer to the mild side. 

Carolyn

9291[/snapback]

Hi Nursepatti:

Hope you can read this. I know its extremely frustrating about your grandson becuase I am in the same boat. I got the OK from my neurologist (second opinion) doctor that she told me I should just ignore the tics and if they get to severe to give her Tenex or Cloindine medication currently used on children to treat these types of disorders content of drug: is used to control high blood pressure with many side effects. Well I know all of us do not want to use this route of medication. So the only thing I have been able to find but have not tried yet is a website called nativeremedies.com which is a herbal supplement place and they have alot of testimonials on treatments for ADhD as well as tics. I ordered some products from there Brightspark and Mindsoothe Jr. and as soon as I get the results of the PANDAS test that was done on my daughter I can then determined what needs to be done. On the other hand they also gave me the OK to use Omega 3 Vitamins or better (Flaxseed supplement for tics along with zinc and magnesium that I have read about through this forum. I was told I can get these vitamins from vitamin shoppe or any website in volumn. I thank this forum for giving me all the knowledge I have up to now on my issue with tics and learn so much of other issues as well. Any questions please email me at eveq60@hotmail.com

David Berger, MD

Board Certified Pediatrician

Specializing in pediatric primary care, nutritional and detoxification therapies for autism, ADHD and related disorders (DAN! protocol), asthma and allergies.

3341 W Bearss Avenue

Tampa, FL 33618

(813) 960-3415 - Phone

(813) 960-3465 - Fax

Sorry about the delay. Hope that this reaches you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm 32 and with the same kind of tics u used to have. My head swings or jerks several times a minute and at 1st it thought it was a habit but it cud not stop. I've seen a neurologist he diagnosed it as habitual tics and prescribed clonepazam. It didn't help and i am researching the net to see if anyone has other remedies. It pains me to read articles that tics can't be cured completely. Please help.

I read yr note..what kind of massage should i go for? i am also thinking of accupuncture to see if that can help me. Its really getting embarrassing for people to ask me abt the tics...

HELP! :huh:

Hi Patricia,

In addition to the other things already suggested I would suggest trying to get him a professional massage.  I'm 20 with ts and had the head jerking that went from very intense head shaking every couple seconds as young as 5 years old to head jerking as I got older.  About 2 years ago when I moved to a city I started getting theraputic massages on my back, shoulders, and neck.  I usually got one every month, when my back and neck started getting sore.  The massage therapist said I was as hard as a rock as far as knots I had in my back, shoulders, and neck. 

As I continued to get these massages I noticed that the head jerking went away and stayed away as long as I kept up on the massages.  I very occasionally got a head jerk for a short time when I picked up the tic from someone else with tics or when I got really excited.  I also receive acupuncture with Chinese cupping and the cupping has been so good for my back.  Even though I managed to get rid of the head jerking tics I was still really tight.  After 4 times of cupping I went back to my massage therapist and he asked me what I did because I'm not hard as a rock anymore and my tics were much better.  I told him I'd been having cupping done.  Now I've been starting to get full body massages since my back is in pretty good shape.

I would suggest trying alternative therapies before starting medications.  I've been med free for probably about 2 months and doing very well.  Its my first time being med free for 15 years.  If theres one thing I had control over and would have done differently 15 years ago it would be not trying medications.  I was put on a number of things ranging from clonidine to haldol, with botox suggested at 7 years old.  I had very severe ts.  Diet, vitamins, amino acids test results were all ignored.  When I was 13 I was researching the internet and found Bonnie's vitamin program and brought it to my parent and asked if we could try it.  The vitamins changed my severe ts to being moderate ts.  Its now between mild and moderate, closer to the mild side. 

Carolyn

9291[/snapback]

Hi Fuchsia (one of my favourite flowers :huh: )

i second carolyn's comments about the beneficial effect of accupuncture and massage, as well as recommending reflexology.

If you start reading thru some of the threads here you will find so many ways that folks have found to help diminish tics without meds and their side effects.

My own son had very severe TS and OCD but now has negligible symptoms since we started alternative treatments some years back . the results were very noticeable within 2 weeks, and he is so stabilised now that we have been able to cut right back to just a very simple treatment protocol for "maintenance"

here is a link to the thread where I describe what helped him

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=687

there is a wealth of info on this website and this forum that will give you a lot of insight into natural treatments

hope you will stay in touch

Hi Fuschia,

Welcome to Latitudes! Boy is this the place for you. Please take some time and read the posts here as there are a whole bunch of things you can do for tics! There are several tests you will have to have that can really pin point what's going on in your body. People have found by finding out their allergies, treating vitamin deficiencies, treating neurotransmitters, and avoiding food dyes and artificial foods that their tics completely disappear. And if not disappear completely, their tics are greatly reduced.

My son had very debilitating tics, including the neck whiplash tic, lots of vocal tics and the list goes on and on. We found he was deficient in B6, calcium, magnesium, and Vit. C. He had a copper to zinc ratio that was 2 to 1 where it is supposed to be 1 to 1. His neurtransmitters where out of whack as well and we are giving him some of the building block amino acids to help with that. And he had very high levels of yeast and bacteria in his gut. We have been rectifying this. The difference is truly amazing! His vocal tics are completely gone and his motor tics are an occasional finger crunch once or twice a day - mostly in the evening (tired). But that's it! It is wonderful for him as no one even notices and therefore we are very happy.

Other people have different deficiencies or issues but the tests reveal that and they are dealing accordingly and having success as well.

It takes a while to soak all the information up so go slowly and ask questions. This method (more natural) is a little slower and has a little trial and error so is not as quick as popping a pill - but the rewards are great. The tics are simply a symptom of something out of whack in your system. Covering the tics with medication many times is just a bandaid - healing what's wrong really works.

People here also have advice on finding a great doctor who can help with these more alternative remedies. We use an Environmental Doctor as well as a DAN doctor (DAN stands for Defeat Autism Now) and not that tics are part of Autism it's just that DAN doctors are able to order and understand many tests that regular docs don't - as well, they are more up on how nutrition plays a part in all this (vitamin deficiencies, etc.)

Good luck and welcome!

Giselle

Hi Fuschia,

Just wanted to say welcome too. This bd. is an amazing place for people who are interested in treating ts/tics and the conditions that sometimes accompany, without medication in most cases. I wanted to give you a link to a web site where I order vitamins, fish oil and magnesium taurate for my boys. http://www.bonniegr.com/Interview%20with%20Bonnie.htm

This site has some really wonderful information, even if you decide to do individual supplements. I started these vitamins before I knew much of what I know now, and they have worked soooo well for my son's ages 8 and 12. I do want to say though, that many people have found testing and supplementing with what the individual needs are, to be more successful. I liked Bonnie's vitamins because she knew how to balance things, as many vitamins are dependent on others. I wanted to see if there was any effect, and then I thought I would decide how to proceed. There was an effect all right! We did find that 1/2 of the recommended dose was enough though, and my son's are still using these vitamins.

As Giselle said, be sure to ask, if you have questions. :huh:

Kim

Hi fuschia,

I get therapeutic (sometimes called deep tissue instead) massage done. For acupuncture try to find someone that has a masters in acupuncture. Chiropractors & doctors can do acupuncture, but my acupuncturist says its not the same as Traditional Chinese Acupuncture. Plus they don't have the training that an acupuncturist does.

My acupuncturist does Chinese Cupping on my back and I love that. Its released the tightness more than massage has.

Carolyn

Hi,

My son is also 12 and here's something many have tried that we do also and is easy. I give my son 500 mg. of taurine (it's an amino acid), 1000 mg calcium, 500 mg. magnesium and 50 mg. of zinc daily. I give the taurine in the early morning on a empty stomach and then split the cal/mag in am and pm. He weighs @ 105 lbs.

Also, watch him and see what makes them worse. In my son's case root beer makes them much worse (as well as anything orange like Gatorade).

If they just started you may be happy to know that they very well could be transient tics. Also, I didn't see mention of it but if he's on any medication for ADD or something, it may have provoked it. It happened with my son and Lexapro.

Lisa