ACN Latitudes Forums

Wht helps bartonella until i can get Abx.?

2 years ago I consulted a naturopathic doctor because I couldn't get help for my children's symptoms from anyone else. None of us were thinking Lyme or PANDAS at that time. She suggested that we try a gluten and dairy free diet (I can't say casein-free becuase we still use a little bit of butter) :)

Fast forward to 6 weeks ago when my children started Lyme and co-infection treatment. They have not had many side-effects or herxing (knock on wood) from the very aggressive treatment. Our current doc said it's a possibility that our diet already reduced so much inflammation in the body and our guts are in better health that our bodies were prepared for treatment. I was so happy to hear about a big pay-off from a GFCF diet. Was it hard at first? Yes. But now it is just a part of our lives and we eat so much healthier (proteins, nuts, veggies, fruit) because there is gluten and dairy in most of the typical American diet foods.

I know you need relief now from your symptoms and a change in diet may not have a dramatic effect on your current symptoms; however, it might help get your gut ready for treatment when you can see a doctor. And it is something you can proactively do while you are playing the awful waiting game.

Finally, don't quote me on this, but our naturopathic doc told us that 60-70% of your immune system is located in your gut. Healthy gut = stronger immunity

Hope you feel better soon.

Finally, don't quote me on this, but our naturopathic doc told us that 60-70% of your immune system is located in your gut. Healthy gut = stronger immunity

I think it was Dr. Cunningham who mentioned about treating the gut as well as the immune system at the Autism One conference (speaking on PANDAS.) Anyway, we also see a holistic chiropractor in downstate NY (near Westchester if anyone wants his name). We saw him several years ago, and then moved, but started going to him again about 3- 4 months ago.) He also treats one of the top Lyme doctors (I won't mention names...he just told me he treats him, when he found out we were treating Lyme, Co-infections and PANDAS.) Incidentally, he's the first person who suggested PANDAS to me for my DS's symptoms, but I just filled him in on where/how to get help/tx.

He targets everything...especially the gut and the immune system. He does Applied Kinesiology (muscle testing), and really, really intuitively knows what he's doing (I've been to another AK doctor, and he was "trained"...it just didn't come naturally to him.) I bring all my supplements to him, and he tests them. Some are fine, others do nothing, or are also bad for me. He does sell his own stuff, but it's really high quality, and like I said, I get much of what he tells me to take from other sources (like Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, etc., and they work out fine.)

I totally agree that you can start by targeting the gut. I would suggest, though, that if possible, you get someone to test you. We have had all kinds of probiotics suggested per knowledgeable doctors, but when we were tested, they didn't work for us. DS15 and I are on the same thing, DS18 takes something completely different. DH refuses to go, so he's on sacchromyces boullardi (like the rest of us) + the cheapest probiotic (I question whether it's working, but I'm not going to fight him on this...as it is, I had to fight him to get tested for Lyme, and he's the only one who came back 100% positive on the Quest WB ;) Personally, I feel WAY better since starting all this, and I know it's not just from the abx.

Anyone who wants the docs name and contact info, PM me.