ACN Latitudes Forums

Neurotransmitters

Giselle

Hi there,

I'm usually on the Tourettes section of Latitudes but my son has cormorbid OCD - his takes the form that he has to get his tics "just right" so it tends to look like he has way worse Tourettes than he does. I had mother's intuition that about 50% of his tics were OCD tics. We had his neurotransmitter levels checked on the advice of his Environmental Doctor who is an angel and found that his dopamine was low, his seratonin was low, his epinephrine was low and his norepinephrine was really high. NeuroScienc, who did the test (urine test), suggested supplements for him. 5HTP, Taurine, Rhodiola Rosea, SAM-e, and L-theanine. His tics have almost all gone away!

There is a component to Tourettes that the sydrome has a waxing and waning nature and at first I thought this too good to be true and thought it was just a waning phase but now I don't think so because about a half hour before he's due for his next set of supplements he starts to tic a bit. I see/hear this and look at my watch and sure enough - almost time! He is taking loads of other nutritionals for the Tourettes proper but it seems like the neurotransmitter support tied everything together. I really wanted you all to hear this because it has really helped the Tourettes part but it has amazingly helped the OCD component. Hope this helps,

Giselle

• 4 months later...

Giselle,

I am a newbie and just read your post -- I hope things continue to be going well for you and your son!

My son has had very mild TS since 1999 but now (at the age of 12) the last 3 mos things have gotten much worse (the tics have become more profound) and, in the last few weeks, the OCD has become a big problem, too.

Among other things, we are getting a blood/urine test tomorrow that is called the TRIAD test that is supposed to do identify difficiencies in his system and allergies (and hopefully idenitify PANDAS related issues).. have you heard of this? The homeopathic MD we met with this week suggested that this test be done before we dive into supplements...

Thx for any help/thoughts!

Wewillbeatthis

Hi there,

I'm usually on the Tourettes section of Latitudes but my son has cormorbid OCD - his takes the form that he has to get his tics "just right" so it tends to look like he has way worse Tourettes than he does. I had mother's intuition that about 50% of his tics were OCD tics. We had his neurotransmitter levels checked on the advice of his Environmental Doctor who is an angel and found that his dopamine was low, his seratonin was low, his epinephrine was low and his norepinephrine was really high. NeuroScienc, who did the test (urine test), suggested supplements for him. 5HTP, Taurine, Rhodiola Rosea, SAM-e, and L-theanine. His tics have almost all gone away!

There is a component to Tourettes that the sydrome has a waxing and waning nature and at first I thought this too good to be true and thought it was just a waning phase but now I don't think so because about a half hour before he's due for his next set of supplements he starts to tic a bit. I see/hear this and look at my watch and sure enough - almost time! He is taking loads of other nutritionals for the Tourettes proper but it seems like the neurotransmitter support tied everything together. I really wanted you all to hear this because it has really helped the Tourettes part but it has amazingly helped the OCD component. Hope this helps,

Giselle