ACN Latitudes Forums

I think my DD has developed a tic...

Don't laugh, (go ahead I did at first :) have you ever heard of a sniffing tic? I thought I noticed her sniffing me once last week, and right after I thought I saw her hiding the fact that she was sniffing my shoulder... Well tonight sitting there watching tv with her, I was positive that she was doing it again twice to me. Then she came in the kitchen laughing and I realized she was sniffing inbetween her laughs. Now I'm not sure if this is actually a tic or OCD. The only other tic I have ever seen her do was with the sudden onset she had a grimancing neck twisting but that went away after the first antibiotic we tried in November... Maybe this is a herx?

Sniffing tics are very common. My son has had a lot of them - -sometimes sniffing me, but usually himself. Right now he has to sniff his feet, which makes it awkard to move around sometimes.

Don't laugh, (go ahead I did at first :) have you ever heard of a sniffing tic? I thought I noticed her sniffing me once last week, and right after I thought I saw her hiding the fact that she was sniffing my shoulder... Well tonight sitting there watching tv with her, I was positive that she was doing it again twice to me. Then she came in the kitchen laughing and I realized she was sniffing inbetween her laughs. Now I'm not sure if this is actually a tic or OCD. The only other tic I have ever seen her do was with the sudden onset she had a grimancing neck twisting but that went away after the first antibiotic we tried in November... Maybe this is a herx?

DS has done the sniffing thing at times, but I always classify it as an OCD thing. He is "checking" what things smell like. Was too embarrassed to explain the reason behind it. But it was a voluntary movement, a compulsion. (not that it matters).

I'm really curious how to differentiate between a tic and a compulsion. DS9 definitely had tics from age 6 until about 5 months ago. Now they seem like compulsions to me, but I can't articulate the difference in a way that makes me happy. But he seemed a lot less aware of the tics -- like they just happened, while the compulsions seem a lot more voluntary -- even though he has to do them.

DS has done the sniffing thing at times, but I always classify it as an OCD thing. He is "checking" what things smell like. Was too embarrassed to explain the reason behind it. But it was a voluntary movement, a compulsion. (not that it matters).

My son has had a sniffing tic where it sounds like he just as allergies. I believe this was from herxing. It did go away. I've seen it come back once and someone recommended acetyl-l-carnitine which seem to do the trick. I still give this for the brain health benefit.

I'm really curious how to differentiate between a tic and a compulsion. DS9 definitely had tics from age 6 until about 5 months ago. Now they seem like compulsions to me, but I can't articulate the difference in a way that makes me happy. But he seemed a lot less aware of the tics -- like they just happened, while the compulsions seem a lot more voluntary -- even though he has to do them.

That's sort of how I see the difference as well. Here's a similar discussion from a few months ago...

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13347&st=0&p=110631&fromsearch=1entry110631