ACN Latitudes Forums

Hunger and Lyme Treatment?

My DD11 has been treated for Lyme, Babesia and Bartonella for the last 6 weeks. She has done beautifully on the treatment so far....not too many side effects or herxing.

She so far has taken or is currently taking:

Diflucan

Alinia

Zithromax

Mepron

Tindamax

Milk Thistle

Crucera SGS

Probiotics

It seems that when she first took Tindamax for 7 days (just finished last week), she seemed hungry all of the time. Nothing satisfies her. She even asked to come with my husband and I last night to a boring car dealership just so she could keep herself from eating. So...she doesn't want to eat, she just feels very "empty." This is not an OCD compulsion or psychological symptom (my son has OCD....I know very well what that looks like). We also eat organic GFCF, so most of what she is eating is quite healthy: proteins, nuts, fruits, veggies, very little sugar and she drinks mostly water.

Someone recently mentioned to me that there is a lot of pituary involvement with Lyme.

Could the pituary be causing the hunger?

Has anyone else experienced hunger on any of the above meds?

Is there anything I can do to combat the hunger?

Thanks for any advice.

My DD11 has been treated for Lyme, Babesia and Bartonella for the last 6 weeks. She has done beautifully on the treatment so far....not too many side effects or herxing.

Diflucan

Alinia

Zithromax

Mepron

Tindamax

Milk Thistle

Crucera SGS

Probiotics

It seems that when she first took Tindamax for 7 days (just finished last week), she seemed hungry all of the time. Nothing satisfies her. She even asked to come with my husband and I last night to a boring car dealership just so she could keep herself from eating. So...she doesn't want to eat, she just feels very "empty." This is not an OCD compulsion or psychological symptom (my son has OCD....I know very well what that looks like). We also eat organic GFCF, so most of what she is eating is quite healthy: proteins, nuts, fruits, veggies, very little sugar and she drinks mostly water.

Someone recently mentioned to me that there is a lot of pituary involvement with Lyme.

Thanks for any advice.

Two thoughts jump out here for me:

1 - Perhaps it is a yeast issue from the antibiotics generally, as yeast overgrowth can cause food cravings and overall hunger.

2 - When I was treating for babesia, I had to eat lots lots more for a period of a couple weeks. I didn't fight it, I just did it. My body needed it. Lots of protein and fat and iron and calcium. A couple supplements I took helped. Nutrex Spirulina (high in iron) and Hydrilla Verticillata (a green plant, high in calcium and then, to a less extent, iron and some other minerals).

My DS has had unremitting hunger at times. It calmed down when he was put on lamictal, and when he was taken off for an extended in-hospital eeg, it came back.

Then, when we started lyme tx (I don't know which drugs caused it), we had the problem again for a short time. I gave him more tryptophan. Seems to help some (peanut butter is full of tryptophan + it's high in fat, which takes it straight to the brain (this is my theory, folks...not fact...I just know it works really well on my DS for the hunger and the rages.)

Diflucan

Alinia

Zithromax

Mepron

Tindamax

Milk Thistle

Crucera SGS

Probiotics

Thanks for any advice.

For my daughter, this exact same thing happened with the Tindimax. She would even need to get up in the middle of the night to eat. She is taking the tindimax on weekends only and the hunger corresponded exactly with the doses. I started filling empty capsules with ginger powder and giving that with each dose thinking that it was nausea that was releived by eating. After about 4 rounds of the tindimax, it no longer has this effect on her. Her tummy flattened out quite a bit since starting it, so I wonder if it had something to do with a parasite that was taken care of by the tindimax.

I am not on Tindamax, but rather Minocycline. But for the past 2 months I have been starving to death. it is exactly as you describe. I mostly want carbs and fats and I don't know why this is happening or how to start it. My LLMD wants me to do the 3 hour glucose test because she thinks I may be having a glucose intolerance problem caused by the Lyme.

When DS7 was a baby and toddler he was never ever full. He would scream for food all the time. At 9 months he would eat a full box of Kraft dinner and keep screaming for more. At 15 months we would go to the Pizza Hut buffet and he would eat 5-6 slices of pizza!!! He was always eating and never satisfied - and he was always big but never fat - 90th percentile for both height and weight. In the last few years this started to come and go, and then in the past 6 months has gone away entirely. I keep this on his symptom list, because it was so extreme and I'm sure it will mean something to the right doctor some day. He was not on any medications during that time.

Is this possibly a symptom of lyme or a coinfection that is coming out as a herx in your DD? IDK - just thinking out loud.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Could very well be a herx. I took the advice of just letting her eat because telling her she can't is just making her go crazy. I'm also trying to be careful about not making her feel ashamed of needing to eat. She found almond butter to on GF crackers to be satisfying today, so I"m thinking she needs to eat a little more fat and protein.