ACN Latitudes Forums

What antibiotics have you used for Mycoplasma?

We had been using zithromax cream because my daughter was refusing to take anything by mouth. After about two weeks a miracle happened. I worked with her for about three days with candy and bribed her with a video game until I taught her to swallow very small candy and pills. So for several weeks now she has taken her zith by mouth (cut in half a few times). Mind you it takes about 20 minutes to get it down. Sometimes she coughs it up and we have to start all over, it's a major ordeal every night. But..... she has done it consistantly every night. This is huge for her. I have tried repeatdly to get fish oil or anything else in but NO Way...she is only going for one thing. No more compromise. So, I am taking what I can get for now.

So, my question is.....after nearly a month of oral zith with no improvement, I was thinking of switching to a different antibiotic. She is positive for Mycoplasma both IgG and IgM. Her Zith dose was 500mg for one week and then she started having diarrhea so we dropped it to 250mg. She is only 7 years and weighs about 60lbs. Has anyone had success with anthing else? We are still waiting on our appeal for IVIG from insurance. They requested peer review articles and we sent nine articles over the week-end so we hope to hear something soon. Mean while, things are as bad as they have ever been. Rages are horrible, seperation anxiety, constant crying....our home is in turmoil. I am open to ideas.........

We used clindimycin dont know the dosage but DR T prescribed it

I have no idea if this would be helpful, but my sister works for a doctor who often prescribes Levaquin for mypoplasma.

You'll have to google it if you want more information because I think there can be side effects.

I thought that I remembered reading something about Cipro XR for Mycoplasma. Since my daughter will only take something once a day (if I'm lucky), the XR once daily piece of that sounded really good. I know they don't like to give it for more than two weeks because of the potential side effects. My daughter doesn't seem to be doing well on the zith. A little improvement in some areas, worse in others. Since it would be impossible to get her to take anyting more than once a day, I am trying to figure out what the other options are.....

Deedee

HOORAY for DD!!!!!! This is so awesome!!!! I hope she got a huge reward and lots of hooppla! What a breakthru - you should be so proud of both of you.

I don't have a good abx recommendation - only that doxy generally isn't given until kids have all their adult teeth (can cause permanent staining in teeth that haven't fully emerged).

Also, re: the diarrhea, we've had great results since switching our probiotics to Theralac. Not sure what you're using, but a change in probiotics may be an alternative to lower doses of abx.

Keep us posted - this is great progress!

Laura