ACN Latitudes Forums

Rifampin (again!)

Just started rifampin for bartonella and within HOURS my son's urine turned orange. I knew it was coming but...hours?

Also did a baseline liver test before starting and ALT and Alkaline phosphatase were normal, but the bilirubin was slightly elevated (1.4 instead of top of range 1.0). Thoughts?

Also...if rifampin does clear the bartonella, does everyone see the stretch mark rash? If you did, how long did it take to appear?

Thanks!

My daughter is being treated for Bartonella but not with Rifampin. She gets a rash regularly now, after she takes a long hot shower. It is usually on her legs, sometimes it is red/purple with white splotches that have red centers, but other times her legs are just all red, like small dots all connected together. I used to think it was from the Lyme rather than the bart because it didn't look like stretch marks, but one time it did look like stretch marks and it was on her bottom. Maybe that was a one time bart rash? Not sure, but knowing there is die off does make me feel confident that we are on the right track. It's slow going though....

I take Rifampin for Bartonella and my urine turns orange very quickly. You are supposed to take it on an emtpy stomach so it goes into your system quickly. I have not had any problems with this medication other than the urine discoloration.

Good luck.

Just started rifampin for bartonella and within HOURS my son's urine turned orange. I knew it was coming but...hours?

Also did a baseline liver test before starting and ALT and Alkaline phosphatase were normal, but the bilirubin was slightly elevated (1.4 instead of top of range 1.0). Thoughts?

Also...if rifampin does clear the bartonella, does everyone see the stretch mark rash? If you did, how long did it take to appear?

Thanks!

Not everyone sees the stretch marks. Don't know about the other tests. Apparently the stretch mark can come out at any time during the treatment, even after a year or two. There is no typical course for bartonella, just like with lyme.

Yes, pee turned orange very quickly. My DD was on it about 2 weeks (one week at full dose) when we started seeing different rashes. Little streaks on her arms, blotchy rash on her face, and dots on her backside. They seem to come and go and get worse after shower. We had to stop milk thistle (for liver) while on Rifampin, but she's now taking curcumin. We watch liver monthly -- sometimes it is slightly elevated.

More rifampin questions:

Can you guys tell me your dosages (and weight if for a kid) and if you take it once a day or split into two a day?

(anyone know how long it stays in the system?)

Thanks

Yes, pee turned orange very quickly. My DD was on it about 2 weeks (one week at full dose) when we started seeing different rashes. Little streaks on her arms, blotchy rash on her face, and dots on her backside. They seem to come and go and get worse after shower. We had to stop milk thistle (for liver) while on Rifampin, but she's now taking curcumin. We watch liver monthly -- sometimes it is slightly elevated.

My son weighs 115lb and takes 300mg twice daily. I do give it to him all at once at his evening dose of minocycline. You can give both at once when you've worked your dosing up to the twice a day. We did start with only 300mg once a day for the first two weeks. Others I've talked to do better with a split dose. I did notice that symptoms ramped up a little after taking the rifampin, thats why I'm trying it at night only. so far so good.